Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

Is there anyway to online dispute inquiries?

I have quite a few inquiries that need disputing on each of my reports, especially Transunion. Transunion currently has 19 for me. About half of them need to go. When I go to the online dispute for TU and EX they will only let me dispute accounts and a few other things. Is there any way to do this online? I hate writing through mail and phone I don't feel like the information can be presented as clearly.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Is there anyway to online dispute inquiries?

You usually have write or call. Are these valid Inqs?
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

When I applied for a car loan at my dealership there were 5 inquiries on the same day through other banks. When I only did one at the dealer. I want that condensed into one.

First USA also keeps hard inquiring on me and I've never applied for anything from them.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

All but the First USA have valid PP.
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

What's PP?
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

Permissible purpose.  It's the legal way of saying they are allowed to pull your credit report. 
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

But I thought for an auto loan, inquiries were supposed to be grouped into one.
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

Jack_Sparrow wrote:
But I thought for an auto loan, inquiries were supposed to be grouped into one.

All of them will be listed individually on your report, but are counted as one when your FICO score is calculated (provided they are within a 14-day window).
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

Does anyone know if First USA part of a bigger company?
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

First USA is Chase.
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

That's what I figured. Because I did apply for Chase freedom. Could not resist $250 bonus and 3% back for all my fast food :smileywink:

Is there anyway for sure that I could find out if those 5 inquiries counted as one? Because on my credit report it doesn't seem that way.
Regular Contributor
javi84

Just call them, I had to call to dispute one and the whole conversation lasted no more than 2 minutes. They gave me a case number and in a few days I got a letter in the mail saying that the inquiry was being deleted.
For age and want, save while you may; no morning sun lasts a whole day.
--Benjamin Franklin
Senior Contributor
ilovepizza

[ Edited ]
Bank ONE is owned by First USA. First USA is owned by Chase. Oops, didn't see page 2 had this info already.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-04-2007 09:24 AM
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Don't confuse Auto\Mort Inqs will CCs. Unlike Auto\Mort you are being dinged for each of those five Inqs. Call and see if Chase will remove the other four.  
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

Here let me post all my TU inquiries

First USA 09-15-05 - Possibly Bank One student card
HSBC NV 10-01-05 - Orchard Bank Secured
First USA 10-03-05 - ?
First USA 03-20-06 - ?
Mazda Credit 06-26-06 - Getting an idea if I could get credit for my car
Mazda Credit 07-09-06 - I think I messed up here and applied twice
CITI 07-18-06 - Dividend card
Ohio ED-Loan 08-14-06 - Trying for auto loan through credit union
E-Loan 09-26-06 - Again, auto loan
Taleris CU 09-26-06 - Eww, auto loan
Credco IMS 09-30-06 - Don't know, probably auto loan
Taleris CU 10-06-06 - Don't know why they have two, two weeks apart. The only thing I could think of is would they do one when I apply for membership and one for trying for auto loan?
Mazda Credit, Westfargo Bank, Chase, 5/3 Bank, US Bank all on 10-18-06 - Big day at the car dealership. Good news though. After only one year of credit history, I was able to nail a loan at 6.49% with no co-signer.
First USA 11-15-06 - ?
First USA 03-15-07 - Chase Freedom?

I know most of them are my fault. But the seeds are now planted for me. I got some good CCs (some not even on here) and an auto loan. My EQ and EX only had like 8 and 9 inquiries within two years so I'm not concerned about those.

How can I find out what all these First USA were from?

Anything else I should know? Dispute?
Senior Contributor
ilovepizza

Under each inq their should be a phone number in most cases. Call them. Ask. They keep records of that stuff. If the bank does not have a record and you do not know why it was there ask the bank to remove it.
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
Valued Member
Jack_Sparrow

Yea, all the banks have contact info except for First USA. Something seems fishy to me.
3rd325

As an underwriter at JPMorgan, the parent company to the company the owns FUSA, I doubt they just do hard inquires into your credit (they do not need to, if you have accounts w/them your credit file is open for them to reveiw. Even if you don't have accounts they can still purchase it.). If you have accounts with FUSA and have requested lower rates or higher credit limits or other such things then you have infact been consenting to inquires. If you do not have accounts then perhaps you have applied for credti somewhere that is owned by FUSA or with someone who "priced" you out to them. From my experience most people worry way too much about inquires, which have little effect unless taken to the extreme, when they should be worrieing about other things that have far more impact on their credit.
3rd325

"Bank ONE is owned by First USA. First USA is owned by Chase. Oops, didn't see page 2 had this info already."

This is not quite true. Rather FUSA was bought by BankOne which was previously ValleyNational. Chase merged w/BankOne about 1.5yrs ago, Chase is part of JPMorgan and Chase Manhatten. There are MANY more smaller banks included but those are the big ones. Basically they are all JPMorgan Chase.
New Visitor
peachygirl

My husband's credit report has about 8 inquiries from First Bank USA or (whatever it's called) on his reports all within a years time. If this is true that they are from Chase bank I suppose it would make sense because we have some accounts with them. But the question I have is if we were inquiring for credit limit increases  on our current accounts to improve our credit scores (as suggested by Suze Orman) then shouldn't these be soft inquiries since we already have the accounts with them??
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I wish they were, but Chase in infamous for pulling hard inqs for CLI's. :smileymad:

Different banks do this different ways: Chase does, Bank of America usually doesn't, American Express usually doesn't, Citi goes either way, etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Member
wayne6372

Yes there is with Equifax. But with transunion they will blow you off with stall tactics, and with experian they will want you to place a fraud alert on your file. Equifax will allow you to dispute the inquiry by giving you 2 options.One being unauthorized and 2nd fraudulent. On April 16, 2009 I disputed 11 inquiries as un authorized and on April 18, 2009 11 inquiries were deleted to my surprise. I have gone on to dispute others today 04/18/09 hopefully getting the same great results. To my knowledge it is our right to dispute any negative information in our reports and must be investigated or deleted. My next step is to file a suit in my small claims court with transunion and experian. Each claim is worth a $ 1000.00. I will only do this after a second attempt by certified mail to the bureas.Hopefully they will be disputed as request by me and in accordance with the FCRA.
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

wayne6372 wrote:
To my knowledge it is our right to dispute any negative information in our reports and must be investigated or deleted.

It is your right to dispute any negative inaccurate information in your reports....If these inquiries are yours, and you know it, it is unethical and illegal to dispute these inquiries.

Disputing inquiries are a fast means to a FA and/or deleted, associated TLs. If these aren't your inquiries, then you'd want the FA placed. You would also want to file a police report for ID theft, contact the FTC and file with them, and eventually use the police report to dispute the inquiries and any associated TLs.

Valued Member
wayne6372

I know for a fact some of these inquiries were not autorized but they are also old inquiries from time . Transunion nor experian will dispute these inquiries as i have asked> i have also sent letters o the creditors, but no response well over 30 days. capital one was very complient gave them my info and the research showed no records on there files.They are now sending letters to the bureas as well as me to remove these 2 inquiries.Direct tv shows a autorized inquiry and keeps giving me the number to equifax, when this inquiry shows on my experian report.Will having some of these inquiries removed from my reports help my scores go up soon.? also had a judgement remove from 2 agencies and a collection account remove from the big 3. Will this help as well?

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Hi, wayne, you have revived an old thread and taken it in a different direction. Now that you have an actual question about negative info on your own reports, can you copy/paste your post onto a new thread over on Rebuilding Your Credit?

Just move over to the Rebuilding Forums, click "New Message" on the left toward the top, and paste your message there. Create a new title for what you're actually trying to do. You're probably going to find more help over there from members familiar with what you're going through.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Member
wayne6372

Yes with equifax, you can now dispute inquiries on line at there site. transunion and experian I have no sucess from them .
New Visitor
cara35

Are inquiries suppose to be removed after one year?

I have Comcast Cable and ATT from a new cell phone that are both showing as inquiries from over a year ago.  Should I write to the credit bureaus or to the companies to have them removed?

Thanks.

C

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Are inquiries suppose to be removed after one year?

cara35 wrote:

I have Comcast Cable and ATT from a new cell phone that are both showing as inquiries from over a year ago.  Should I write to the credit bureaus or to the companies to have them removed?

Thanks.

C

Inquiries report for 2 years. Despite reporting, FICO only scores them if a year old or less.

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

[ Edited ]

Here is my legal understanding of the credit inquiry process.

When anyone requests your CR, they must provide to the CRA a certification of the reason for the inquiry, and certify that the information will be used for no other purpose.  FCRA 607(a).  The FCRA never mentions the terms "hard" or "soft" pull.  If the requeted reason meets any of the "permissible purposes" set forth in FCRA 604((a), and the requester has made a certification of this, they the requestor is provided access to our full CR.  The only exception to that is if the stated reason is for making you a so-called "promotional" offer for credit that does not certify that y0ou currently have a business relationship. FCRA 604(c)(2).  Those types of inquirees don get your ful CR.  Just your name and sddress.

So the CRAs rely on the certifiction of a permissible purpose, which provided by self-certfication of the inquiree.  If you dispute this with the CRA, the fault, if the certification was not correct or was false, is with the inquiree, not the CRA,  So CRAs arent very receptive of such disputes.

As for how these inquiries are handled by FICO, they must rely on the inquiry codes reported the inquirees to make their determination of whether to treat it as a so-called "hard" of "soft" inquiry in their reporting.  There are approx 12 different rinquiry codes availble for recording the reason for the inquiry.  That depends on the accuracy of the inquiry code provided by the inquiree. 
Take, for example, the failure of FICO scoring to only count multiple inquires for auto/mortage loas with a window as a single inquiry.  The problem was most likely . because each inquiree did not properly code their inquiry with a code that FICO recognizes as having been for that purpose. 

Inquiry codes, and soft and hard pull categorization, are not regulated under the FCRA, and thus are not, by themselves, a subject of dispute.

Disputing an inquiry showing in your CR would probably, in my opinion, require you to file a dispute under FCRA 611(a), challenging the accuracy of their seft-certification of the reason for the inquiry.  that was provded to the CRA under FCRA 607(a).  Since that basic documentation is only retained in your credit file, and is not provided in your CR, that would be most difficult to do. 

The best way, in my opinion, to deal with credit inquiries is to first order your full credit report from annualcreditreport.com  That is the only CR that know of that lists the reason codes for your inquires.  If you see one that is incorrect, I was first contact the party who made the inquiry, and ask them to update their prior reporting with the CRAs..

Usually, by the time you go through all of that, the one-year scoring parameter used by FICO will most likely either have expired, or is close to expiring.  So little or nothing is gained.

Valued Member
wayne6372

Your right it is  a lot of work to have them removed , but it is helpful if there are under a year old.So they still effecting a score.The credit bureas wont dispute them at all anymore unless a police report is filed for fraudulent ones.Also I have gained a lot of suceess using the BBB and attorney general office to have negatives removed that were in accurate for me and some friends.

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

If the CRA is requiring a police report, what they are really saying is that they want legal assertion by  y0u (which is what a police report is, since it carries criminal penalities for any false statements you make therein)  that the certificaation fiiled by the party when they requested your CR was false.  It goes back, once again, to FCRA 607(a).

In thinking about this approach,  that is probably your best and most direct approach you can take!  I like it!

And here is why......

You just go to your police station and simply assert that "I have false information in my consumer credit file that does not comply with FCRA 607(a) and FCRA 604  I have reason to believe possible credit fraud do this reporting."

Identify each inquiry.  (Of course, the police will have absolutely no idea what you are even talking about, so it will be up to you to essetially write it for them)

With a copy of this police report in hand, you can then take binding action with the CRA.

Here is the quick and easy process.

This police report is what is referred to under FCRA 603(q)(4) as an "identity theft report."

Then, all you have to do is write a quick and simple letter to the CRA under the provisions of FCRA 605B, asking for an immediate block of the inquiries.

You only have to do four simple and direct things in this letter:

1. provide appropriate proof of your identity,

2. a cipy of the identity theft (police) report,

3.identification of the inquires to be blocked,and

4.a statement that the inquiries do not relate to any information relating to any acount of yours, with any permissible purpose under FCRA 604.

Valued Member
wayne6372

I actually took the FTC fraud aff and filled out .A law enforcement offcer then placed his signature and police report number for temp use while the police report will be wriiten.Only problem I might have is I had a fraudulent medical biil that Equifax wont remove , but is finally gone for the momnet.But I have had things removed and replaced on file before as child support but finally removed it to FCRA voilation and a lot of letters to the BBB and Attorney General.That really help but took persistence a hell of a lot..Hopefully it wont re appear .

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

True, they can come back on once a fraud block is removed.

That may be significant for significant credit reportings, but we are not talking about a significant credit reporting issue here.  We are taling only about getting a credit inquiry blocked from your CR from now until one year from the date of inquiry.  If it comes back on after that date, it will then be past the one one year scoring date by FICO, so who cares?  You are just buying months.

Regular Contributor
Flying_High

hello, i notice you have the same thing as me and i havent been able to figure out what it mean---->Credco??, do you have the number fore that?? i have some inq as well and there is NO number on any of them..

As of 9/13"
Starting Score: 600
Goal Score: 740
Garden till 10/14"
Valued Member
wayne6372

[ Edited ]

Inquiries are becoming harder to remove lately.Here recently I have had some appear from debt collectors.These companies are just  being Mod Cut and trying  to damage the credit score more by placing the debt as well as the inquiry on the files.I use the attorney general in these matters.Usely googling the information will obtain numbers for the companies.If theres anything else I can help with, let me know.

Regular Contributor
Flying_High

ok thank you :smileyhappy:

As of 9/13"
Starting Score: 600
Goal Score: 740
Garden till 10/14"

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}