Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 Years Old With Minimal Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 18 Years Old With Minimal Credit

So even with a few thousand down, and a credit score of lets say, 680, the fact that my credit report says the oldest account is 1 year rules me out for any new auto loans?
Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

have you tried calling any of your local credit unions...i had one instaly deny me for my credit but i had another one tell me i was pre approved for a used car loan....only catch was they could only loan 85% of NADA guide retail value...and the apr was 12.4% (luckly my car was worth 12k) but i then got rejected because i didnt make enough gross monthly....so if i where you id call around diffrent credit unions ask if they have a first time buyer program and see what they require then go down and meet them...
Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's looking like a CU is the way I'm going to have to go. My own bank rejected me, so hopefully a CU will be better. I plan on joining one tomorrow and waiting to May to apply for my loan.
Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your rush to get involved in some heavy debt, especially for an Infiniti? There are people who make (or made) 3 times of what you probably make and are now struggling because of the economy and tighter lending restrictions.

If you need a car that badly, get one for a few grand and for 3 years. By the time you pay that off AND have established great credit, you can get that Infiniti at the terms you're looking for now.

A car should be treated as a means to an end (getting you from point-a to point-b), not as a status symbol.

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

While length of history is huge, the fact that you have 'maxed out' your credit card is also HUGE (generally 30 to 90 points alone). If you cut that balance-to-credit ratio down to less than 50% there'll be a jump, and less than 30% or so will also see another jump, and then an additional jump at 10% or so (the 50% mark is pretty much exactly 50%; the other percentages are ballparks). 

My ENTIRE credit history is less than 3 years old, but my scores are nearing 800 each now, and the ONLY negative thing on my reports is "Length of Credit History", which is huge and seems to impact my scores by about 50 points a year so far (650+ first year; 700+ second; 750+ the third, etc.). This track record is also based on the fact that I've never been late nor missed any payment ever. Last year I also saw my 730 score drop to 655 when my credit card balance went from about $5,000 to about $17,000 (out of a card limit of $30,000).

Despite a fairly tight debt-to-income ratio, just a few months ago I bought an 08 Ford Explorer and got 5.5% interest on it, with ZERO down, despite the economic climate we're in probably because of my relatively high FICO scores.

I think the order of things that will help you the most are:

1) Get credit card balances on reports (1 to 2 month delays reaching reports from actual balance changes) down to under 10% of each individual card's limit, and under 10 to 15% total debt to total credit sums.

2) Pay a 1/3 down payment, keep the rest of your money.

3) Wait: the longer you wait the more your scores will rebound from inquiries (likely at 18 even your initial credit cards are on your reports as inquiries), and the better your length of history will affect your score.

And, yeah, as others have said, and I'll say (and please don't take this as disrespectful), you may want to reconsider really hard just how important it is in your life to have a luxury car versus something practical. Unlike the others, I'd not suggest a used car. But you could get a very nice smaller or more basic car, brand-new. I'd always recommend buying brand new cars. At the low-end you can get a very functional and cost-effective Toyota Yaris hatchback for $14k brand-new with warranty/support. Be careful with leases if you drive around much (the mileage limits are deadly).

Oh, and with regard to insurance, I do remember that hurting bad but even though it's going to hurt worse: consider strongly the advantages of higher than state minimum liability coverages. I'm a very cautious person and have gone so far as the "1 million dollar umbrella policy" on top of the 300/500/100 liability coverages, but in this day and age just ONE wrong careless accident that puts someone in the hospital for anything serious and even the insurance I have might barely cover their hospital bills (which can easily be thousands of dollars PER DAY, and sometimes 10's of thousands per day, and with serious accidents they might be admitted for months). That would forever change the rest of your entire life you'd spend paying that debt.

/end lecture LOL.

Message 25 of 40
ljsmom

I would try joining a credit union if you're not already a member of one. They don't really look at as much as other lenders and banks when it comes to car loan approval. I would also suggest subcribing and reading the following newsletter by Stephen Snyder  https://www.lifeafterbankruptcy.com/newsubscribe.html

Even if you don't have a bankruptcy his credit advice is worth more than gold!! I have followed his advice for the past 5 years, and I have a previous bankruptcy and have gotten credit cards, personal lns and a new SUV. I was even approved for a mortgage. Good Luck!

Message 26 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

If you cannot get a conventional auto loan, you can try getting a loan from lending club. It's p2p lending that has helped many people who cannot get loans from banks or choose to borrow from regular people than from banks. Just an option if you cannot find another route. I believe lenders who sign up get a $50 bonus through my link. Lend as little as 25 to get the bonus and borrow what you need for getting a car.

Good luck. 

PM me is you want the link. 

Edited to remove personal identifying information.

Message Edited by llecs on 02-24-2009 10:53 AM
Message Edited by yungtiger on 02-24-2009 09:25 AM
Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your not in bad shape. Ford offers a first time buyer with 5.9 percent interest rate. I got one last year when I had no score, no credit. My first account. The dealer will tell you your credit sucks and insist on charging 19 percent. They will sell the loan to ford and keep the % diff. Be carfulle auto dealers lie at every opperunity. Just when you thing you have a deal  they will still be trying to screw you, put an extra 500 on the contract for example hope you do not notice. Auto loasn are somewhat harder. But it is a secured loan and is doable for you, I am sure. You have the income and normal qaulifications you can get it. Do research on the web about car dealer tricks when selling a car, before you start. You can get financed no doubt, just a matter of if you get screwed or if you do research, go slow and do not listen to the dealer tell you your credit sucks so they can only get 30% percent finacing. If you let them they will charge you 30%. Stay focused keep looking, asking questions. It will be or could be a great leraning expeirence for you. Money is made on the fincaning. Must consider all areas of the loan, not just the payments being low, cause you will pay elsewhere if you work it that way. Pay your credit cards down low, get your score high as it will go. Putting more money down always works to get you ntoa car. Fordhas $6000 in rebates 2008 mustangs, use that a a down payment, $2750 for 2009 mustang use that as a down payment and if need be add $1250 to $2000. Your looking for a dealer and salesperson who wants the deal more than you, walk away until you find the right chemistry with your dealer and salesman. Good luck, it work but you can do it!!!
Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I actuallly just joined a CU this morning. And talked with the lady about their auto financiang terms, and sounded hopeful. I totally see the point about the G, so I have ruled that out by insurance alone Smiley Tongue quote is 600 a month lol. But I'm looking at a dodge charger. I guess | will have to wait and see what the union says. I'm actually waiting til May 1st before I apply. But one question, I'm sittin on 57% usage right now. Should I pay it down to maybe 40%, the following month to 25%, then end of April down to 5%? Or do it all at once?
Message 29 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although you have credit cards you do not have a credit mix. You need to get a personal loan from a credit union in the amount of $1,000.  Having this loan in your file will give you an installment account,a credit mix and will also increase your credit score.  After you make a few payments on the personal loan, request your auto loan through the credit union.  
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.