Did you mean: 

19 years old--need help with auto loan

tag
C7LT1
New Contributor

Re: 19 years old--need help with auto loan

@wissam wrote:
Sure you will lose when trade !
Leasing a small car is good idea but it is hard to get it approved tho ! and u can not drive it that much there is a limit on the milage per year .
And getting small secured loan would not help building auto score
The bank will treat u as first time buyer unless your secured ur loan about 10000$ and you make at least 12 payments on it !
Try to get a cosigner if u don't want to finance small car now
But make sure u can afford the payments !

I had a cosigner for my first auto
I had 750 fico score with small furniture loan 2300$) and when I applied they want me to finance as first time buyer with 14% Apr
I tried too many credit unions and dealers and all the same
But with a cosigner I got my Honda with 4.9 apr and I refinanced with 1.9 in 9 months under my name then I trade it with Nissam and I had a negative equity from my trade with 2.1 Apr .
Good luck

I didn't say that a secured loan would build his auto score. I suggested it because it will help help his credit score and put some meat into his credit profile. WIN-WIN. Also, he don't need a auto score to get this auto loan. He will have show the CU/Banks that he can handle installment payments. 

Everything option has pros and cons (buying, leasing, etc) His problem is not getting approved for a auto loan it getting approved for $34k on his first loan. You have to either get a cosigner or build to that type of loan. Only a bigger downpayment  or a cosigner will get him into this car now. 

In the garden until June 2018

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bankrupt2019 wrote:

I would just do them all at the same time. You're going to lose AAOA now but in a few years having more cards with an older age will soften the blow in the future.

I'd go check out the capital one prequalification site.  https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_ONE_V01.aspx

if you're pre-qualifed there apply for the best card you're pre-qualified for, if approved immediately apply for the second best card you were pre-qualified for.

then get either a walmart credit card or amazon store card.

Hes under 21, he cant do prequal, can he (I think that falls into the preapproved, etc.. that are prohibited under 21)

Message 22 of 24
settleordelete
Regular Contributor

I think we all wanna give you the best advice to help you make a responsible credit decision. Not one of us want to see you make the same mistakes some of us did when we were 19 and wanting that $30k car when there were plenty of $15k cars that would fit your budget.

My personal advice: Never buy a car that's more than half your income. Unforeseen expenses are always lurking nearby.
I've been where you are trying to go and I don't wanna go back.
Message 23 of 24
wissam
Contributor

Agree 100% 

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.