Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Car Purchase -- College Student

tag
fast2furiousxx55
New Visitor

1st Car Purchase -- College Student

Hello,

I'm a college student and I think it's time I got my own car. I've been looking at the BMW 3 series. MSRP around 32k w/ leasing options in the mid $300s/mo w/ 4k down. I plan on paying for most of it but my parents will help out a bit. I've had perfect credit for about 2.5yrs now. I'll provide some details below but do I have any shot of getting a lease through BMW myself? Will my parents have to co-sign? Also, if I do get approved will I get the worst options (higher monthly payments)? Will a cheaper car help my chances?

Info on credit history:

2.5yrs of credit

2 credit cards w/ $7500 total credit (never missed payment)

Student federal loans that will be paid after graduation

FICO score 740

Only income is from summer job (I'm a student)

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: 1st Car Purchase -- College Student

sorry, you have no reportable income. Maybe your parents can lease the car under there name.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 4
fast2furiousxx55
New Visitor

Very understandable....... Guess I have til post graduation

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Also, when it is your first car, and you are under 25 y/o, don't get an expensive car.

Accidents happen. Especially to young college aged students driving their first car.

Have your fender benders on a cheapo car and get a decent car later - when your insurance cost is reduced, and you have graduated, and you have your own income. The rewards will be sweeter. The risk will be lower for both you and the lender Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.