cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time buyer needs advice

tag
mcnamara69

1st time buyer needs advice

I am 24 years old, never had an installment loan before looking to buy a new car such as a 2011 Camry or Accord with 0-1.9% or similar promotional financing.

Annual Income is around 24k GROSS with 26% Debt to Credit ratio (12k/47k) monthly liabilities are around $500 which includes debt payments. Girlfriend pays the rent and other stuff, 7 year immaculate payment history, got 2010 w2's. FICO's are around 690-715 when checked last month. Wanna buy the car under my name and nobody else’s.

I was approved by Toyota Financial & Ford in March 2010 when applied online, but didn't go to the dealership to buy a car!

My down payment will cover sales tax 8.75% to be precise (Chicago) Registration and Tags + around <$500 towards the principle. I don’t wanna pay off my debt first, cuz once I am clean then somehow the testament will begin again with a higher APR and increased payments.

I don't want to go to the dealership and get smacked with a higher APR by the finance manager. Firstly, I don’t have any previous car loan; secondly, my DTI ratio is 26%

So, what do I need to take to the dealership? Do they ask for tax returns? Also, I don’t want any other lenders except the car manufacturer.

I just wanna go to the dealership, haggle the price a little bit and drive off without any BS. I’ve done a lot of research and I am sure these folks are cunning.

If it’s not the special APR financing, then I’ll stick with my current car until I get the APR I want.

If anyone have info on Financing Tiers pls share.

ALL SCORES PULLED ON DEC 18, 2011

Transunion FICO: 742
Equifax FICO: 711
Experian FAKO: 785
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: 1st time buyer needs advice

Currently, Honda is not offering any offers, so no promotional APRs. The best time to obtain them, would be to wait until the 2012s begin flowing in, and 0% will pop up on the prior year models. You can always check: http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx for more information.

Keep in mind, when it comes to the difference between 0% and say 2.95% (which most credit unions are offering currently), it isn't as much as you would think:

$24,000 car (including tax, tags, title, etc.) @ 0% for 48 months  = $500/month

$24,000 car (" " " ") @ 2.95% for 48 months = $531/month

Sometimes its more advantagious to take the "cash back feature" offer, then the promotional interest rate if you can secure other financing. Not a big deal, but if you get your financing directly through the dealer, you will typically get hit with 2 inquiries instead of 1 with an actual lending institution. Reason being that the dealer will pull your scores, then the financing company will pull it a day later when they are writing things up.

Your income is quite low for the type of car you are considering. A new accord will run between $21-28k depending on options. Be careful not to over-extend yourself.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
mcnamara69

I am looking for Accord LX which is around $19,400 plus uncle sam and tags, or camry LE for $20,500. So considering my credit and down payment would my income be an obstacle? Can i get their special APR?

Honda is offering 0.9% for 60 mos and Toyota is offering 0% for 60 mos.

ALL SCORES PULLED ON DEC 18, 2011

Transunion FICO: 742
Equifax FICO: 711
Experian FAKO: 785
Message 3 of 5
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I purchased a new accord last year, and in order to obtain their best financing rates, a 720 auto-enhanced score was needed (TU they pulled for me...both dealer and AHFC). Tier 2 added 3%, tier 3 added 9%.

As for income, I am not sure the exact ratio they are looking for, but $24k a year is very low for a $20k car

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
janesmith1979
Valued Member

I bought a 2011 Camry LE last November and got the 0% for 60 months financing. At that time, a credit score of 680 or higher was needed to qualify for the special financing, in addition to other criteria such as earning more than $1400 (or $1600, I don't remember which) per month.The dealer ended up pulling an Experian AUTO-ENHANCED score.

This was my first auto loan, my DTI ratio was higher than yours, but my annual income is about $50K.

They did not ask to see any tax returns but do take proof of income, your monthly bank statement, and a copy of your credit score and credit report would also be good.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.