Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.99% Credit Card For Life vs 4.75% Auto Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3.99% Credit Card For Life vs 4.75% Auto Loan

I am able to finance a new car loan with 2 options.  I can finance with my Credit Union for 4.75 for 5 yrs or put it all on a credit card offcering 3.99% for the life of the loan and be in possession of the title.  

I would think it would be better to go with the lower interest rate but wonder if this large amount on a credit card would look bad on my record.  Would this also affect my FICO score?  Any suggestions?

Message Edited by RubySlippers on 12-05-2008 07:54 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3.99% Credit Card For Life vs 4.75% Auto Loan

CAR LOAN....

If you are ever one day late on that 3.99% for the life of the loan your rate will go up to the default rate (usually 24.99% or higher)

If you are ever one day late on the car loan, it is still at 4.75%.

If you put it on the credit card...you will most likely carry the balance longer than your 5 year car loan.

If you get a car loan and it is your first installment loan it will increase your score.

If you charge your credit card at say 90% of the balance your score will drop considerably (could even be 100 points).

I could go on and on for the reasons to do the car loan, but the above are just some of the reasons why you do NOT want to put a new car on your credit card.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two more to add to the great list above.  They can implement new charges at any time.  Chase recently announced to some account holders that they would be charged a monthly fee on their accounts while they carry a balance.  Seems to be hitting folks with large BTs.  There was another thread about a different card randomly moving due dates up with little notice.

I've been debating the same thing.  So tempting, but at the end of the day, .76% on a $15,000 loan for 4 years is $234.  I'll keep my pretty score and stable loan payments Smiley Happy

PS Consider making bi-weekly payments. You'll save some in interest and pay off the car at least 5 months early (one extra payment every year plus the interest savings).

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't put it on a credit card

If you put it on a credit card it will be included in your revolving debt versus your installment debt.  Also, your creditors constantly pull your credit report and when they see that you are carrying a revolving balance of this level they could start to reduce your available credit because your seem to have acquired too much new revolving debt recently.

Keep it in installment versus revolving!!!  A lot of people with American Express have learned over the past month what it means to have your credit limits reduced and what it does to your overall FICO score.

TheTaxMan

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a used car and got 9.24% for 6 years from Chase at the dealership.  My payment ended up at $236 per month and I sent them $60 a week ($240 per month).  Chase then gave me a BT offer on one of my cards of 3.99% until the balance was paid off.  This card had a $20K limit, but it is now $30K.

Since I had about $11.5K left on the car and 2% of that was $230, my payment would essentially stay the same.  After much internal debate and online research, I decided that the upside far outweighed the downside:

Upside:

My rate would drop 5.25%!

I'd pay off the loan in about 50 months (assuming steady payments of $240 per month)

I'd hold the title

I could sell the car and keep all the money

I could lower insurance add-ons

Should I default on the payments, my car could not be repossessed 

If, after I've been paying for a while and paid down the balance, if I couldn't afford $240 that month, I could pay just the minimum due

Downside:

If I were late on ANY Chase account, my rate could go up to ~30%

My FICO score could drop

Chase COULD change the terms at any time

#1 downside could easily be mitigated by paying all my bills early.  I pay them all online and have never been late.  I don't plan on ever being late.  I can schedule payments weeks in advance.

So about 2 months ago, I went ahead and transferred the $11.5K from the Chase card to a Citibank card with a $0 balance.  I requested a credit balance refund from Citibank, deposited the check, and paid off the car loan.

For the last statement, I paid about $40 in finance charges, whereas with the car loan, $20 A WEEK ($80 per month) was going toward interest.  I will pay off the car about 13 months early, saving almost $2K in interest.

FICO implications:

When Chase posted the credit card balance increase, I lost 3 points on my Equifax score

When Chase  reported the auto loan as closed, paid in full, I gained 3 points on my Equifax score

Net Equifax FICO change: 0

Shortly after doing this BT, I heard of Chase changing terms on some customers' accounts.  Specifically, the minimum due would be 5%, and there'd be a $10 monthly charge.  Apparently, they CANNOT change the interest rate, as they said it was "for life" but they can change other aspects of the agreement.  For a moment, I was terrified, as I would not be able to afford $525 a month, but I was not affected by this change.  

Research (here and other boards) showed that people with BT rates "for life" below 7% initiated over 2 years ago were affected.  In two years, I will have paid down my balance enough that even if they do "get" me, the 5% minimum due will put me at $300, which (hopefully) won't be very difficult.

The main motivation for me doing this was to save the $1800 I calculated, FICO be damned.  However, FICO was apparently a non-issue.  

Do what makes sense for you.  Make sure you have a high enough CL on the card to keep your util below 50%, and preferrable below 30% (mine is at about 37%).  If you have other Chase credit cards accounts, you can transfer part of your credit line from those cards to the card with the balance.  The title for my car is now in a file cabinet in my home office, and I'm saving half of the interest I was paying before.  And that amount will go up as the balance goes down, as more of the money goes towards principle.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to mention:  I tried to refinance but every lender turned me down because I hadn't had the car long enough, except one lender who offered me a higher rate!

Honestly, in your situation, I'd take the car loan, as the three-quarter percent difference is hardly substantial enough to warrant the risk for the payoff.  I have another car loan at 6.49% and even the 2.5% difference on that one isn't enough for me to transfer that to a credit card.  For the one car, though, dropping my rate by more than half really made sense and unless and until Chase starts to monkey with my account, I'll be glad I did!

Also, when I did the BT, Chase capped the fee at $75.  Now it is capped at $199.  If rmily's calculations are correct, and applicable to you ($15k for 4 years), most of your savings will be eaten up by the BT fee.

Message Edited by Mike14 on 12-06-2008 02:27 PM
Message 6 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Agree with what others have said, get a car loan.  A 3/4% difference in interst rate won't make  that much of a difference in the payment, and it'll give you peace of mind.  CC loans can always be rate jacked and should only be used if you have funds available to pay it down if things turn sour with the CC loan.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah do not go with CC... one of my wife's cards got jacked up to 31.99% after she got within 10% the card's limit!! Imagine all the things they could do even if they don't touch the interest rate... the car loan is set in stone for the life of the loan and your credit union will be more likely to work with you in the event something comes up out of your control.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Brainer - the auto loan. Never fall for those teaser rates from credit card companies, you'll get burned. It's only a matter of time. Think of the 0.76% extra that you will pay on the auto loan as insurance against rate jumping to 28% suddenly.  One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a stranger who said, when you make decision try to make the ones that put you in a position for success, not failure. Teaser rates position you for failure. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.