Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

58 down and 2 to go!

tag
williamd1972
Contributor

58 down and 2 to go!

I have 2 payments left on a 60 month car loan, will I be penalized for paying it off? If so, by how much will my score drop?
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 58 down and 2 to go!

Paying off your auto loan will not necessarily drop your FICO score.  The account will remain on your credit PAID for the next 10 years.  It will continue to positively affect your AAoA during that time.  Your debt will be reduced which could have marginal postive FICO results.  At this point it is really just GUESS-timates about whether you will realize a FICO decrease.

In addition, FICO is only one part of credit.  The fact that you obtained an auto loan, paid it timely and then paid it off is a great credit reference.  Credit reference is every bit as important as FICO.  In fact, you can have a good FICO but thin CR and not be able to get much credit because of a lack of adequate credit references showing past performance and pay offs.

Do not obsess about the FICO to the point that you would consider maintaining indefinite debt for the sole purpose of a nominal gain in FICO points.  I have read posts in which people actually buy or lease another vehicle, going into debt just to satisfy their belief of it benefiting FICO - don't make your financial decisions based upon FICO, make them based upon sound, conservative, responsible, long term strategy which serves your best interests.  FICO will postively reflect those choices.  Worry not if you have the most "tweaked" FICO, but that you have the most benefit of your money.

Good job on getting your car paid off.  Hopefully it last many more years and you won't need to make payments to a finance company, you can make them to your SAVINGS ACCOUNT! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-10-2009 02:16 AM
Message 9 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming all else remains the same, any "drop" in Fico will be marginal at best. If you were to seek an additional line of installment credit/car loan that drop will be more then compensated by the freeing up of monthly income that PIF would cause.
Message 2 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

William, I'm paying off my car this or next month too. I have no other open installment loans and predict less than a 10 pt drop. Likely mine would be under 5 pts.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@williamd1972 wrote:
I have 2 payments left on a 60 month car loan, will I be penalized for paying it off? If so, by how much will my score drop?

I have "unlucky" 13 payments left I honestly can't wait to get into the single digits!!!

This thread reminds me of that scene in Platoon where they are talking about how many days they have left. You short timers are lucky!.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sucks that you are paying off you loan soon, but actually anticipating a drop in you score. I know we all know the notions and ideas behind it, but still...!
Message 5 of 12
williamd1972
Contributor

I just got bucketed a month ago, when some of my late mortgage payments from 2002, aged off. So, I was concerned(scared to death ) about paying of my car loan. That said, why are we penalized for paying our bills on time? I  have read all the theories on how fico works, but, for the life of me, I dont understand the logic behind it all       
Message 6 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It sucks that you are paying off you loan soon, but actually anticipating a drop in you score. I know we all know the notions and ideas behind it, but still...!
Are you kidding?  Paying off a loan and getting out of debt NEVER sucks.  So what if his FICO drops a bit, I'd rather have my FICO a bit lower and owe no money, compared with a higher score and owe money.  This site is often too focused on maintaining a high score, often at the expense of spending interest on loans in order to maintain it.
Message 7 of 12
Eager2Learn
New Contributor

In all fairness, if you have been paying on time for the duration of the loan, your last two payments are including a very small amount of interest.  Look at an amortization chart to see if the amount in interest you have left is worth the small dip in your scores.  
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off your auto loan will not necessarily drop your FICO score.  The account will remain on your credit PAID for the next 10 years.  It will continue to positively affect your AAoA during that time.  Your debt will be reduced which could have marginal postive FICO results.  At this point it is really just GUESS-timates about whether you will realize a FICO decrease.

In addition, FICO is only one part of credit.  The fact that you obtained an auto loan, paid it timely and then paid it off is a great credit reference.  Credit reference is every bit as important as FICO.  In fact, you can have a good FICO but thin CR and not be able to get much credit because of a lack of adequate credit references showing past performance and pay offs.

Do not obsess about the FICO to the point that you would consider maintaining indefinite debt for the sole purpose of a nominal gain in FICO points.  I have read posts in which people actually buy or lease another vehicle, going into debt just to satisfy their belief of it benefiting FICO - don't make your financial decisions based upon FICO, make them based upon sound, conservative, responsible, long term strategy which serves your best interests.  FICO will postively reflect those choices.  Worry not if you have the most "tweaked" FICO, but that you have the most benefit of your money.

Good job on getting your car paid off.  Hopefully it last many more years and you won't need to make payments to a finance company, you can make them to your SAVINGS ACCOUNT! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-10-2009 02:16 AM
Message 9 of 12
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Great post txjohn. As usual you are right on the money. Smiley Happy
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.