cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$6500 loan on 15 year old vehicle, poor credit, possible?

tag
urbex
Established Member

$6500 loan on 15 year old vehicle, poor credit, possible?

Just getting started in the credit rebuilding stages, my scores are 515TU, 572EX, 596EQ.  I do have several CO/CAs on the records, with one secured Cap1 card I got a month ago currently reporting paid as agreed.  I gross about $3000/mo, rent being $300/month (live with a buddy for now).  I had one car loan about 14 years old, zero lates, but being so old I guess that doesn't get factored into the auto enhanced score now.  Since then all my vehicles have been paid for in cash.

Yes, I realize that this isnt' a good picture for a loan.  The engine is going out on my truck, and I don't really want to put the money into it right now.  It's a '65, been in the family since day one, so I don't want to sell/trade it if I don't have to.  Knowing my credit is in the toilet right now, I realize I'll likely get a horrible interest rate, thus I don't really want to go pull a 20K or 30K loan, even with a guarantee that it can be re-fi'ed later.  I did find one truck I really liked at an independent dealer, '96 Ford F350 diesel truck, asking price $6500, and I'm fairly positive I can negoitiate it down further.  Even at a 25% interest rate, I can swing either a 36 or 24 month monthly payment without issue. 

Problem is that '96 model year though.  Been browsing some of the online loan places, and seems like many want the cars to be less than 7 years old with less than 100,000 miles.  I need the heavy truck for what I do, so even a smaller truck like an F150 won't do, and a midsize truck (Colorado, Ranger, etc) is completely out of the question, as would be the typical new small car.  As I said earlier, I also don't want a huge loan, knowing that I'll likely get a high interest rate.  I'd rather buy low now, get the credit repaired, then when it's time for the next truck, I'll qualify for top tier interest rates hopefuilly. 

Is this something that would be possible?  Or do I just bite the bullet, sink the money into another engine for my current truck, and deal for another year or two?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: $6500 loan on 15 year old vehicle, poor credit, possible?

Have you spoken to the independent dealer to see if they have any finance resources or would be willing to do an in-hose contract? Since you mentioned all three credit scores I am assuming you got them from a credit monitoring service and not the TU and EQ FICO scores available on this site. Your FICO scores may be vastly different (better or worse) than those.

You may want to also try one of the peer to peer lending sites like Prosper or Lending Club. Although I believe they both have minimum credit score requirements. Barring any of those ideas then your only option is to find a friend / relative that will write a loan on a promissory from you.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 6
urbex
Established Member

No, I haven't talked to anyone about it.  At this point it's just something I was thinking about, and am hesitant to talk to the dealers until I'm ready to pull the trigger on something, as I didn't know if I would just be wasting my time and inquiries on my credit report trying.  

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@urbex wrote:

No, I haven't talked to anyone about it.  At this point it's just something I was thinking about, and am hesitant to talk to the dealers until I'm ready to pull the trigger on something, as I didn't know if I would just be wasting my time and inquiries on my credit report trying.  

Most lenders have an age limit on vehicles they're willing to finance, and that old is going to be tricky.  Maybe someone can offer a suggestion on a lender, but they're going to be few and far between.

How much cash do you have laying around?  The math I'm seeing is this: you gross $3000/mo, and for sloppy math let's just say that equates to $2000 post-tax (which I know is low), so you have $1700 in free cash flow / month, minus utilities, food, and gas.  If you don't have cash saved up, start immediately.  Heck, rent a truck if you have to in order to continue working, but you're likely going to have to finance things on your own.

If you can come up with call it 3K, you could get an unsecured junk loan (130% APR) for $2600 from Cashcal or similar provider, and then put your entire monthly earnings other than the exceptions mentioned above, towards paying off the loan in 2-3 months at worst assuming your financial model.  It's not ideal, but on a short-term basis, when you just need to get it financed to continue working in your credit strata, there's worse ways to go... namely not being able to continue working.  

Those are really the only ideas I can come up with unless someone has a lark besides the already mentioned family loan financing if you can get it.

        
Message 4 of 6
urbex
Established Member

I would think I'd be far further ahead to buy an older private sale vehicle for 2-3K than to take a horrendously overpriced cash loan like CashCall or similar.  Or just go with a $500 junkyard engine in the current truck, and hope it holds out for a few more months while I can save up a few more thousand.  Mine isn't completely down yet, so I still have some time to figure things out, so it's not like I need to do something today or tomorrow.  I've got a couple thousand in the bank now, but I didn't really want to empty my savings out for an older vehicle, and leave myself without a backup plan in case of an expensive repair popping up right away.

I think at this point, I'm just going to hold off for a month or so, see what happens with my current truck, and continue to save up.  Maybe if I'm lucky, it will hold for another 4-6 months, and I'll have the cash available at that point to buy something newer outright.

Message 5 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

@urbex wrote:

I would think I'd be far further ahead to buy an older private sale vehicle for 2-3K than to take a horrendously overpriced cash loan like CashCall or similar.  Or just go with a $500 junkyard engine in the current truck, and hope it holds out for a few more months while I can save up a few more thousand.  Mine isn't completely down yet, so I still have some time to figure things out, so it's not like I need to do something today or tomorrow.  I've got a couple thousand in the bank now, but I didn't really want to empty my savings out for an older vehicle, and leave myself without a backup plan in case of an expensive repair popping up right away.

I think at this point, I'm just going to hold off for a month or so, see what happens with my current truck, and continue to save up.  Maybe if I'm lucky, it will hold for another 4-6 months, and I'll have the cash available at that point to buy something newer outright.

If this works out obviously it is the best scenario in your situation. And also continue your credit rebuild efforts for the time after next when you will be auto shopping. By following the proven strategies here you could be on the forums crowing about the great interest rate you got after coming out of credit hades.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.