cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70 point difference between myfico TU score and TU score through my CU....what gives?

tag
midwestgirl44
Contributor

70 point difference between myfico TU score and TU score through my CU....what gives?

I am in the process of applying for a car loan through my local CU and they informed me my TU credit score is 560.....myfico has my TU at 633....so I have to ask, why would such a huge difference exist? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
antso91
Regular Contributor

Re: 70 point difference between myfico TU score and TU score through my CU....what gives?

I think it has to do with the scoring modules they use. MyFico is 08 I believe.

I could be wrong though, this makes me extremely nervous because I will be apping for lease at the end of feb and my current scores are 683/699/691 through myfico, I'm hoping this is what they pull...

Message 2 of 9
midwestgirl44
Contributor

Re: 70 point difference between myfico TU score and TU score through my CU....what gives?

@antso91 wrote:

I think it has to do with the scoring modules they use. MyFico is 08 I believe.

I could be wrong though, this makes me extremely nervous because I will be apping for lease at the end of feb and my current scores are 683/699/691 through myfico, I'm hoping this is what they pull...

I'm sure it has to do with the scoring modules. I believe that. Knowing that's a possibility it's scary knowing that there is such a wide variance in scoring. 

I hope they pull those scores for you too!

Message 3 of 9
midwestgirl44
Contributor

CU said they pulled the credit score directly from the Transunion website, which I think is complete bunk. Asked for a phone number for TransUnion and on the phone now. This is ridiculous.

Message 4 of 9
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

The difference wasn't quite as significant for me, but my TU 08 on this site and the TU Classic 04 pulled by my CU for an auto loan (yes, they pulled a mortgage product for an auto loan...have no idea why, nor control over their decisions) differed by about 40 points.  It was horrifying to see that new, much lower, number!  I can't figure out why the heck it would be so much worse than what's on this site, but that was how it shook out.

Sorry you had the same experience, but perhaps your CU did the same thing mine did.

Message 5 of 9
midwestgirl44
Contributor

The lady I spoke with had no idea what scoring model they used and said they got the score directly from the TU website. I called TU and they said they don't provide scores to financial institutions, just credit file information.

Called back my CU and told them this and after a few minutes on hold the rep came back on and said it has to do with the range of scores. My credit union apparently scores all the way up to 900, whereas TU has a max of 839, meaning a difference of 61 points. So basically whatever I see from TU I need to deduct the discrepancy of points between the two scoring ranges to determine what credit score my CU would see.

This is so frustrating! Talk about a need for legislation to write up a law for some consistency.....which is an oxymoron when talking about politics LOL

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@midwestgirl44 wrote:

The lady I spoke with had no idea what scoring model they used and said they got the score directly from the TU website. I called TU and they said they don't provide scores to financial institutions, just credit file information.

Called back my CU and told them this and after a few minutes on hold the rep came back on and said it has to do with the range of scores. My credit union apparently scores all the way up to 900, whereas TU has a max of 839, meaning a difference of 61 points. So basically whatever I see from TU I need to deduct the discrepancy of points between the two scoring ranges to determine what credit score my CU would see.

This is so frustrating! Talk about a need for legislation to write up a law for some consistency.....which is an oxymoron when talking about politics LOL

Unfortunately it's not that simple: out of 900 you likely got a FICO 8 Auto industry option for a score, and that weights things simply differently.

The big one we're aware of is what your installment history is: if you don't have an auto loan already on record, or possibly some other types of installment loan you're almost assuredly going to see a lower score from everyone's anecdotal experience; or if you had things like a repossession on your report that's another killer.  Unfortunately, there's absolutely zero access to this score as a consumer directly.

It's a crappy situation around auto lending frankly when it comes to this particular scoring model.  We won't get consistency as every lender can and in some cases does use something different as the goal is to minimize their losses (or maximize profits, cynical me) via risk analysis.  At best we might be able to trade up with a confusing mess of allowing consumers their full range of FICO scores somehow and disclosures by lenders which specific one they use... but that second one is doubtful as particular algorithm selected is a possibly a competitive advantage and the whole thing falls apart if they use something other than FICO scores.

From that perspective, it well and truly sucks, which is why my recommendation is simply to focus on the report data, as a pretty report will produce a pretty score regardless of credit score used.

        
Message 7 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@midwestgirl44 wrote:

Unfortunately it's not that simple: out of 900 you likely got a FICO 8 Auto industry option for a score, and that weights things simply differently.

The big one we're aware of is what your installment history is: if you don't have an auto loan already on record, or possibly some other types of installment loan you're almost assuredly going to see a lower score from everyone's anecdotal experience; or if you had things like a repossession on your report that's another killer.  Unfortunately, there's absolutely zero access to this score as a consumer directly.

It's a crappy situation around auto lending frankly when it comes to this particular scoring model.  We won't get consistency as every lender can and in some cases does use something different as the goal is to minimize their losses (or maximize profits, cynical me) via risk analysis.  At best we might be able to trade up with a confusing mess of allowing consumers their full range of FICO scores somehow and disclosures by lenders which specific one they use... but that second one is doubtful as particular algorithm selected is a possibly a competitive advantage and the whole thing falls apart if they use something other than FICO scores.

From that perspective, it well and truly sucks, which is why my recommendation is simply to focus on the report data, as a pretty report will produce a pretty score regardless of credit score used.

+1

Message 8 of 9
midwestgirl44
Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@midwestgirl44 wrote:

Thank you! I really appreciate the info you provided! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.