Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A word of warning: United Auto Credit and non-existent privacy practices

tag
TopCat99
Valued Member

A word of warning: United Auto Credit and non-existent privacy practices

So I found myself in a situation where my car is no more (no longer safe to drive, won't pass inspection, that kind of thing) and in need of another. And knowing my credit history and the fact that I've just started working on cleaning it up, I knew this wouldn't be easy.

After the usual sub-prime places turned me down, I tried one of those buy here-pay here stealerships dealerships. Not only did they manage two hard pulls (they used a different address each time, so it shows up as two), they forwarded my app to two other places without my permission. The first was United Auto Credit. The name of the second one escapes me at the moment.

Google United Auto Credit if you want. They seem to be known for their lack of ethics and illegal collection practices. The best comment I found on them is, "Don Corleone had more integrity." Smiley Tongue Well, that certainly applies to their privacy policy--or lack thereof.

They called my office to verify employment (as expected) and I happened to answer. The loan officer spilled the beans to me on "this employee's auto loan application" (not knowing I was the applicant), leaving out only my name. I sent them to our central verification people. She called back a couple hours later, this time spilling even more beans (again, not knowing she had reached me)--things like "I show this employee's start date as..." and "would you happen to know anything...?"

In a nutshell, the loan officer couldn't handle first grade arithmetic, so I then referred her to a "local" HR person who could re-hash what she had already learned. Now get this: instead of asking for the HR contact as I instructed, the loan officer detailed everything to the person who answered the phone at the main office number. And then she asked for HR. The next time I saw this person, she said, "Oh, I heard you're getting a car!" I asked what she knew; she proceeded to tell me the half-dozen details about my app, my credit, my employment history, et cetera, this loan officer told her.

It's not that I live a secret life or that I don't trust my coworkers, but I still don't desire for them to know everything about my credit history. I think I will write a nastygram to UAC's HQ detailing this egregious breach of privacy.

Oh, by the way, I didn't get the loan. Reason? "Instability of recent employment" (Remember the arithmetic problem? I've had the job for four years, 40 hours a week.)

So what do you guys think? Is a nastygram in order?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A word of warning: United Auto Credit and non-existent privacy practices

The only thing this person was allowed to ask was do you work there? and if on the application you offered up your start date she could verify that.

The fact that this person divulged anything more than that means they should get a nasty gram, a call to BBB and anyone else you can think of!

Sadly thou, once you sign the credit application they can go to whomever they want as many times as they want. As long as the pulls were all within 14 days they will count as one in regards to losing points(but still list separately on your report) They code inquiries by the type of loan you are trying to qualifying for not what address they use.....

Write Away!!!!!!!!!!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.