Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTO 09 SCORES SEEM WAY OFF

tag
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

AUTO 09 SCORES SEEM WAY OFF

Went to VW dealer for a work car, a 2014 Passat TDI premium  was about to walk when a manager says "oh yes i can match this price 28737 , give you this extra window tinting, fabric protector etc" so I was ready to sign at that point.  Kept asking for the number breakdown but insisted I fill out a credit app, unlocked my equifax which was showing 728, I had recently checked all 3 scores which were in the 728-740 range so I had no worries asking for Tier 1 financing which was 0.9%.  Get to the finance guy desk only to be told my scores were Auto 09 scores showing equifax 655, experian 653 and Transunion 748, ok now Im a bit upset, however I qualified for 1.59 financing, ok great was ready to sign and looked over and noticed the price the manager said he would do he added onto that the following:  owner loyalty bonus 1000, college graduate 600 freight 820, dealer fees 199 of course tax tag and title which is fine but the rest made the purchase price go up.  When I spoke to him he stated he forgot to tell me the deal was only with qualifying for those incentives Believe it or not the guy LET ME WALK?????  WHAT.. ok so I was angry but figured its probably for the best maybe I didnt need a new passat right now.  But....I hated to waste the hard pull for nothing.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AUTO 09 SCORES SEEM WAY OFF

@hersheykisses wrote:

Went to VW dealer for a work car, a 2014 Passat TDI premium  was about to walk when a manager says "oh yes i can match this price 28737 , give you this extra window tinting, fabric protector etc" so I was ready to sign at that point.  Kept asking for the number breakdown but insisted I fill out a credit app, unlocked my equifax which was showing 728, I had recently checked all 3 scores which were in the 728-740 range so I had no worries asking for Tier 1 financing which was 0.9%.  Get to the finance guy desk only to be told my scores were Auto 09 scores showing equifax 655, experian 653 and Transunion 748, ok now Im a bit upset, however I qualified for 1.59 financing, ok great was ready to sign and looked over and noticed the price the manager said he would do he added onto that the following:  owner loyalty bonus 1000, college graduate 600 freight 820, dealer fees 199 of course tax tag and title which is fine but the rest made the purchase price go up.  When I spoke to him he stated he forgot to tell me the deal was only with qualifying for those incentives Believe it or not the guy LET ME WALK?????  WHAT.. ok so I was angry but figured its probably for the best maybe I didnt need a new passat right now.  But....I hated to waste the hard pull for nothing.

if it's just a matter of the $2500ish in fees... I bet if you send over to other dealers what price you want you will find one in a real hurry that will send you a buyers order WITH that price with no issues!

Id go so far to say I was approved for 1.59 before and I saw that 2 of my scores were lower with the auto enhanced but my TU in the mid 700's is more in line with my regular ficos and what I pay for credit... I want the tier 1 at .9%... if you can make that happen we can do a deal.

hit up a big dealership first that does more volume and they will do it!

Message 2 of 4
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

thanks i will keep you posted

Message 3 of 4
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I think you're negotiating wrong. You can't go into the dealership and expect to get a good price. As far as the dealer sees it, only suckers walk into the dealer thinking they can "talk the dealer down" or some nonsense like that. Hence they play all sorts of games.

Since you got 1.59%, no sweat really. The difference is miniscule, but yeah tell the next dealer 0.9% is a deal braker/maker AFTER you negotiate price. Let him come back with an APR first (he may well come back with 0.9%). Usually they use your highest FICO, so you shouldn't have an issue imo.

Here's my guide on how to properly go about buying and financing a car:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Guide-to-Financing-Leasing-and-Refinancing-a-Car/td-p/289...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.