cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on NFCU re-fi - UPDATED: Approved!

tag
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Advice on NFCU re-fi - UPDATED: Approved!

I have a horrible interest rate with a local finance company -- 19.99% from a local dealer because both DH and I had HORRIBLE credit when we bought it. (We have FAIR credit now). I'm looking to refinance with NFCU (been a member for 5 years, but just started really using the accounts in 2010 and opened a $6K CC with them in 2011 - pay every month, not in full, typically util around 30-40% for the past 5 months, currently at 45%) . Since NFCU  has some amazing rates and they pull TU & Equifax, which are better reports for me, i'm thinking that we should re-fi with them to save us from the ridiculously high interest rates of this finance company. 

OUR CAR:

2009 Mazda 3 

Purchased 04/2011

remaining balance : $12500

19.99%

Monthly payment is >$380 and we've paid $400 flat every month since purchase

Our combined monthly income is ~$80K. I have 1 inquiry on my TU for the last 6 months, 2 in the last year. On my EQ,  I have 6 inquiries, but only 1 in the last year. 

Does anyone have NFCU re-fi experience? Did they pull ur TU or EQ? They've pulled my TU twice for my CC - which is GREAT since that's my cleanest report. As of today, my TU score is 693 (Vantage). I dont know my recent FICO since 3 baddies have been removed, a Comenity VS Angel card has been added ($500 CL) and util has dropped on my VISA. I'll be signing up for EQ monitoring on Monday morning so that I can have more EQ info and a score before I apply for refi. 

I'm thinking that we should pay my CC down more this month to 10% and then after the statement hits & my CS goes up again, then apply in mid-February. Are there other factors to consider?

Can anyone give me some advice on this? All thoughts are welcome! 

See update later in the thread. 

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on NFCU re-fi

I haven't done a re-fi with Navy, but they just approved me for a new car and pulled EQ. 

Message 2 of 15
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

I know that they typically pull EQ or TU .. I've never heard of them pulling EXP. I'm just hoping that they continue pulling TU on me as they have been.

What is your FICO ? And what rate/terms did they offer u?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My FICO was 709...they sent me a notice in the mail showing who they pulled and the score, which is a first for me on an approval!! I went with 1.99% for 72 months.  I kept meaning to close my account with them since there's not a branch near me and I rarely utilized the account...sure glad I didnt!  Their rates beat my local CU and the dealer by far!! Good luck with your re-fi!!

Message 4 of 15
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Thank you!  Well, with a 709, I bet you had no trouble at all -ha! ;-)

I am hoping that I can get my FICO up to at least a 680 before apping. I am not holding out for a 1.99% re-fi rate -- Hell, i'd be ECSTATIC with an 8-10% rate at this point. This finance company is killing my pockets.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know just what you mean about high interest. My CR was the pits in 2001 and the only bank who would finance me was Americredit at 15%  I still get a bit of a shock when I'm approved for anything, much less at a good rate.  lol   Hang in there!! 

Message 6 of 15
Laura2323
New Contributor

I would definately apply!  I was just approved for an auto loan at the 1.9% and the letter I received had my score at 665 (wasn't planning on getting a car but was in an accident with a drunk driver last week and my car was totaled).   I also believe they are offering a bonus of something like $250.00 if you refinance your auto loan with them.  Best of luck!

Message 7 of 15
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

WOW! Sorry to hear about your accident.Glad you are well and that it was just the car.

As for NFCU..

I'm certainly considering it. i think i will wait for February though since my util will go down to 9% from it's current reporting 43% (even though I am really at 30%, but it didnt make it before the statement cut for January) and I should have 1 of my 3 paid collection accounts removed by then. I think I will see a huge boost at that point.

Wow thats a great rate! Did u have any inquiries on ur report when u app'd? from which CRA did they pull?

Message 8 of 15
Laura2323
New Contributor

They pulled Equifax.  I currently have 17 inquiries on Equifax for the past two years (9 of them are from Navy Federal).  I also had applied for another credit card with them three days before I applied for the car loan because of the 0% transfer offer.   I would check out how long the bonus of the $250 is being offered.  It may be worth it to apply a little earlier than planned just to get the extra cash Smiley Happy  Let us know how you make out.

Message 9 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In march they pulled TU for a refi and in October they pulled EQ for a new car loan. the 250 shows up as a credit in your shares account... the car loans with nfcu are awesome... you can either pay from any of your nfcu accounts or you can set up an external transfer from another account. I faxed in all of the info they needed but you can probably send it all via secured message center. Pay stubs and w2s.

be prepared to file the title lien yourself and to take care of delivering the payoff to your current lender. Once you get the new title in listing navy as the new leinholder you either mail it in to them or keep it if you are in a title holding state.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.