Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise about credit card debt and auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise about credit card debt and auto loan

Hello all. I'd like to get your feedback regarding my situation and the best route for me to take. I will need to finance a new (used) car soon, as my old truck is on her last legs (blown head I think). I'm ok for right now, as I'm borrowing a relative's car, but that won't last forever (another few months maybe). I'll be staying in the $10-15k price range. And I'll have about 2k for down payment.

As for income, I only make about $30k a year. I work for the public school system, and while the benefits are great, the pay is not. Espcecially here in overcrowded Central FL where wages are pretty low. I also make some extra money on the side doing computer repair work, buying/selling on CL, etc. That might equate to ~$5k a year. 

Credit Report:

• 700-725ish scores according to CreditKarma (I know this can be WAY off)
  • Average Age 9Yrs 4 Mos.
  • Payment History 99.4% (only have one 30 day late from ~2 years ago with Penfed which I tried to get removed via Goodwill letter, but was unsuccessful)
  • Derogatory Marks 0 (I spent a LOT of time cleaning my credit report up 4-5 years ago and tried to stay on top of it)
  • Total Accounts 17
  • Utilization (this is what's killing my score) 45-50%

Debt:

• Mortgage - 100k loan, 90k balance, ~150-160k value. I got lucky on this one and bought in 2011 when prices were dirt cheap.
  • Penfed CC - 10k limit, 90% utilization, 10.5% APR
  • Alliant CU CC - 5k limit, 70% utilization, 9.74 APR
  • Home Depot CC - 5k limit, 15% utilization, 23% APR
  • BofA CC - 10k limit, 0% utilization (This is my mom's card. I'm an authorized user. I never use this account. It just helps a lot with utilization and age of accounts) 
  • Student loans - 2k balance, 6.5% APR

I've been reading about personal loans from Sofi, Lending Tree, etc. and wondering if it would be a good idea to take one out to pay off my CC's and student loan? I went ahead and did the pre-appoval for Sofi which I was offered...

• 3 year, up to 15k, 11.24% APR, $480 mo payment
  • 5 year, up to 21k, 12.24% APR, $330 mo payment (I'd only use 15k though)

Would it be beneficial for me to do a personal loan to pay off the CC and student loan debt, so that it boosts my credit score to get a better auto loan interest rate? Or does it impact me adversly when the auto loan underwriters see the personal loan? Also, *if* a personal loan is the recommended way to go, I have no problem cutting up my cards except one (which will go in a drawer for emergencies only), until the personal loan is paid off. I also know that a mortgage refi is an option, but I'm a little hesitent about going that route. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advise about credit card debt and auto loan

One more question as well. *If* a personal loan is the recommended way to go, how often does Sofi recalculate APR/rates? I know the ~12% rate I'm getting isn't all that great as compared to my CC APR's. However, I recently made a couple payments to the CC's that should drop the utilization down a few points. I don't think those have been reflected on my CR yet though. But I'd like to re-apply again in a few weeks to see if I can get the Sofi APR lower.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone? 

Message 3 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Can you pay down your cards at all? As you've observed, that would be a big help.

Also, you should get your FICO scores. You can sign up for a $1 free trial through CreditCheck Total. Cancel within the trial period. There are people here who grab a free trial frequently and can fill you in if you have questions.

Finally, FICO dings you for loans obtained through finance companies. It's much better to go through a bank or credit union if you're able to. Don't discount that possibility until you've investigated it.

Message 4 of 7
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I think Sofi generally will SP you again in 30 days..
Message 5 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I know you prefer not to go the mortgage route, but I would at least look into it because I think you might find a short term 5 year second mortgage will have a better rate.  You would be better off to consolidate to a rate lower than what you are paying now.  Are you a member of NFCU or any credit union?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:

I know you prefer not to go the mortgage route, but I would at least look into it because I think you might find a short term 5 year second mortgage will have a better rate.  You would be better off to consolidate to a rate lower than what you are paying now.  Are you a member of NFCU or any credit union?

I agree with medicgrrl on this one. Not only will the rate be better, you will also be able to write off the interest. Kill two birds with one stone so-to-speak.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.