Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid to Refinance

tag
FloridaShock

Afraid to Refinance

Hi all,

I've found some great information on the myFICO forums and it seems that there are many knowledgable users on here.  From a newbie like myself, I would like to apologize in advanced for what may seem like another repetitive "refinancing" post.

I got my first car financed through BB&T back in January (2012), financing approx. $10.8k @ 16.4% APR.  I know this APR is super high, BUT I was going to need a car sooner rather than later, had no possible cosigners, and I knew I could afford the payments, while having it help to build my credit from a non sub-prime lender.  At this point my credit was shot, as I had charged off about $4k worth of credit cards sent to collections in 2010, along with numerous late payments.

I began closely monitoring my credit score through myFICO Score Watch in August, starting at 535 and today I just got up to 588.  I currently have two credit cards I've had for about a year with low credit limits, one secured.  Use them lightly and typically pay off entire balance each month.  I've also made every car payment to BB&T on time over the past 10 months and have payed more than due on several occassions.  

So, I was wondering at what point should I consider refinancing this loan?  I'm kind of nervous, because I don't want to draw negative attention to myself, but I have show a better credit history, I'm just not sure if it's long enough.  My credit score still isn't great yet.

Thanks a lot!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.