cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Benefit to using VW Finance vs my credit union for Auto Loan?

tag
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Any Benefit to using VW Finance vs my credit union for Auto Loan?

My 22 year old son has two credit cards in his own hame, and I co-signed for him on a personal loan thru our credit union one year ago to help him buy a used car.  He's made all of his payments on time, handled his cc's very responsibly (has a $1500 CL with Discover and now just got a $6,000 with AmEx!) and his FICO score is 748.

His auto-enhanced Beacon score is 724 (probably since no auto loan showing on his credit yet -- we did the last loan as a personal loan for his car).

He's buying a 2013 VW GTI and is in the enviable position of having both our credit union and FW Finance fighting for his business.  I *will* need to co-sign for him again, as he's been on his job for < 1 year and he only has part-time income as a student (about $950/mo.).

Credit union initially offered 2.74% for 60 mos.

VW offered 2.49% APR but wants me as primary and my son secondary.  My credit union is saying that may cost me in add'l fees when it comes time for my son to refi into his name only in the next 3-6 months.

Credit union then offered to match the 2.49%, and would put my son as primary.

F&I manager at the VW dealership is claiming that there are credit benefits of my son "diversifying" his credit relationships beyond just our credit union, and establishing a relationship with VW Finance.  I'm not seeing where that would make any difference -- auto loan is auto loan, and on-time pmts are on-time pmts?

Please advise ASAP if you can, as i have to pull the trigger on this this morning.

thanks in advance,

Paul

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
lincar66
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any Benefit to using VW Finance vs my credit union for Auto Loan?

Don't listen to a finance manager he's a fool he's trying to make money off you and your son take that credit union up on that sweet deal he's 22 years old he has plenty of time to diversify
Eq-670(dcu)ex-664 tu-693
NFCU Cash Rewards---8500k Joint Cash Rewards 2k NavCheck----15000 cap one 2500 cap one 2k synchrony furniture card 1500 walmart store card 6k walmart mastercard 6000 Firestone 1400 amazon 6k Lowes 12k serta 4k care credit 4800 rotman furniture card 1500 stash visa 2k bp visa 1500 PayPal MasterCard ????
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lincar66 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprise with ur son score he can't get loan himself..

Message 4 of 15
lincar66
Frequent Contributor

just so you know I work at an insurance company so being called a fool is a compliment compared to the other things I'm called the world is not a nice place get with it

So what your saying is we should all prepare fore BK and have a portfolio of different lenders so we can burn them and the other we can keep.

And now the benefit of getting the loan with the cu over the dealership is with her son making on time payments to them he builds a relationship with a credit union that will them in the future give him a auto loan again no problems and actually help him.

To vw your just a number and they couldn't care less and I bet they have a 0% offer floating around somewhere that he is using and then is rate jacking.

And as far as the credit union maybe the first offer was there lowest rate but because they want him as a customer they dropped it a little lower to match the dealer.

I personally finance my cars with the captive lender and then just refi almost immediatly to get any and all incentives which has built me a very good relationship with Chrysler capital and now they will give me anything I want and I have never made more that 6 payments on any given loan.

And as far as diversifying his portfolio I'm pretty sure the car loan means not to much he can always refi if needed and go and get credit with other lenders.

Personally I would trust a credit union with my child's car loan before a big finance company
Eq-670(dcu)ex-664 tu-693
NFCU Cash Rewards---8500k Joint Cash Rewards 2k NavCheck----15000 cap one 2500 cap one 2k synchrony furniture card 1500 walmart store card 6k walmart mastercard 6000 Firestone 1400 amazon 6k Lowes 12k serta 4k care credit 4800 rotman furniture card 1500 stash visa 2k bp visa 1500 PayPal MasterCard ????
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope you went with the credit union!

Message 6 of 15
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hope you went with the credit union!

I did.  I have a 10-year relationship with the guy there who's helped me out more than once, and he was simply awesome once again, meeting me and my son at the dealership last nite to re-do the paperwork just FIVE DAYS AFTER CANCER SURGERY.

Someone was correct above in that he could not offer my son the lower rate unless and until VW Finance offered it, and then he matched it.  Also was willing to put my son primary (this was a TITLE issue, not any fees related to the credit union.  Was going to cost about $150 to remove my name as the primary title holder on the car when my son goes to refinance it into just his name, whereas now they can simply drop me as the secondary was the way it was explained to me.)

Thanks for the feedback.  I do see where there is some benefit to my son diversifying his financial relationships, but in the end we went with loyalty for all this guy has done for our family in the past and even this time.

Pigeye

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 7 of 15
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Surprise with ur son score he can't get loan himself..

His score wasn't the issue.  It was not enough time on his job (< one year) and no previous auto credit (his current loan on his '96 Mitsu was a personal loan for which I co-signed, not an auto loan) and INCOME ($950ish per month) issue:  didn't want more than 21% of his monthly income spent on a car payment, even though as a student he still lives at home with us and has no other monthly expenses.

He's off to a great start with his credit though now.  Primary on an auto loan with a nice 2.49% rate, plus the Discover card (who just last nite gave him some auto-love with a CLI from $1500 to $2000 after he hit six months) and the new Amex ($6,000).

Pigeye

Message 8 of 15
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@lincar66 wrote:
Don't listen to a finance manager he's a fool he's trying to make money off you and your son take that credit union up on that sweet deal he's 22 years old he has plenty of time to diversify

He was a she, and she was actually awesome.  Totally respected my decision to go with my credit union yesterday, and even stayed late to re-do all the paperwork and was an overall joy to deal with.  And to a car dealer's F&I manager, having to blow up a sale you think you made on the last day of the month is NOT a joyful thing!  Yes, they still sold us the car but it was one less loan that she thought she had sold, and one less GAP insurance policy too.  Total class act.

Pigeye

Message 9 of 15
lincar66
Frequent Contributor

Okay now I'm interested you called a finance manager a class act what dealer is this I want to do business with them lol.

That is amazing that you found one that actually has your best interest at heart.

And like I said the credit union did offer the lowest rate they just out of the best thing for the kid decided to match the rate credit unions don't jack your rate up they give you the rate you qualify for.

Eq-670(dcu)ex-664 tu-693
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.