cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions on where to get financing from?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Any suggestions on where to get financing from?

So after reading around, looks like I won't be approved for PenFed and the amazingly low 1.99% auto loans they offer.

I've been looking at other alternatives. However, it seems like every time I look up reviews for a certain lender, I see nothing but bad reviews and negative comments. Granted, some of the reviews are "I fell behind and didn't pay my bills for 6 months, and Capital One repo'd my car, this company is nothing but scum!", but I see some legitimate concerns.

What would you guys suggest? Who have you had a good experience with? I'm a first time buyer, with pretty decent credit. Planning on putting 4-5K down, and financing 8K or so. I plan on paying off this loan very quickly, so if any lenders charge a fee of anything for paying your loan off quicker than agreed, or making larger payments, count me out.

I'm pretty much clueless. I'm going to be buying a car in a week and a half and don't have any financing set up. I understand I could just get financed at a dealership, but that's the last thing I want to do. I want to show up at a dealership and say I've already been approved for X amount, now sell me the car.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Any suggestions on where to get financing from?

@NewSurrender wrote:

So after reading around, looks like I won't be approved for PenFed and the amazingly low 1.99% auto loans they offer.

I've been looking at other alternatives. However, it seems like every time I look up reviews for a certain lender, I see nothing but bad reviews and negative comments. Granted, some of the reviews are "I fell behind and didn't pay my bills for 6 months, and Capital One repo'd my car, this company is nothing but scum!", but I see some legitimate concerns.

What would you guys suggest? Who have you had a good experience with? I'm a first time buyer, with pretty decent credit. Planning on putting 4-5K down, and financing 8K or so. I plan on paying off this loan very quickly, so if any lenders charge a fee of anything for paying your loan off quicker than agreed, or making larger payments, count me out.

I'm pretty much clueless. I'm going to be buying a car in a week and a half and don't have any financing set up. I understand I could just get financed at a dealership, but that's the last thing I want to do. I want to show up at a dealership and say I've already been approved for X amount, now sell me the car.

I would recommend checking around at some local CUs in your area ~ do you have any CU or bank relationships that you can leverage ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
NewSurrender
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@NewSurrender wrote:

I would recommend checking around at some local CUs in your area ~ do you have any CU or bank relationships that you can leverage ?

The only CU I'm a member of is PenFed, and they already turned you down. There's a few CUs in my area, but I'm not sure how helpful they'd be to someone who's not a member and doesn't plan on being one.

Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@NewSurrender wrote:

The only CU I'm a member of is PenFed, and they already turned you down. There's a few CUs in my area, but I'm not sure how helpful they'd be to someone who's not a member and doesn't plan on being one.

A lot of times local CUs will work to get your business.  You become a member when you get a loan through them.  Just walk in and ask a loan officer about their rates for auto loans.   They can probably give you an idea of where you stand and you can decide if it sounds good enough to apply.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.