Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything to worry about?

tag
JRadV

Anything to worry about?

Hey All,

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to finalize the purchase of a new veihlce. The vehich is $43000, and we're planning on putting down about $2,000 total.

My current FICO scores are: EQ 635, TU 637, and EX 638. My wifes scores are very similar, but her EQ score is lower, at 610.

We've been working on rebuilding our credit over the last few months, so there are two paid off collections (on mine), and one released State tax lien (on both, however it was expunged.  the reports haven't updated with its removal yet, unfortuntely). 

Total annual income is $265,000, with a total DTI of around 15%.

Are my chances good for a smooth process, or will there be some hurdles to get over?

Thanks in advance!

5/1/15 - EQ: 635 TU: 637 EX: 638
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anything to worry about?

Have you secured financing the vehicle yet? Having fanancing options available before going to dealer is very helpful because banks/credit unions can often offer you very low APRs that the dealer will try to beat.

DCU, PenFed and Capital One are the forum's favorite. They tend to give out very low APRs for new car (think 60 months 1.5-2.5% APR).

Message 2 of 11
JRadV

No, we haven't looked at other lenders yet. I'm always afraid that by shopping around, all of the hard pulls are going to hurt our chanes at the dealer, if those lenders decline. (paranoid, I know)

I keep hearing about "DCU" on here, but have never heard of them otherwise. Anyone have some personal experience with them?

Message 3 of 11
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I refinanced with them. Highly recommend
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 11
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

I think you need to switch your thinking...

All the pulls the dealer would do will hurt you when they decline you and you need to go to one of the ones mentioned.

DCU is my choice... easy and low rates.  If DCU will approve you I don't think the dealer will find you competative financing.  If DCU doesn't approve you yo are probably looking at a very high rate.

I think if you are able to wait you should wait until the tax lein comes off.  Your scores will probaby jump a considerable amount as liens are major derogs.  Waiting could mean the difference between a good rate and a rebuilding rate.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

should be ok !

Message 6 of 11
JRadV

Welp, I put in an application with DCU yesterday, and I checked my loan status today, and it was marked as declined.

Reason: Delinquent past or present credit obligations with others. Insufficient number of satisfactory rated accounts. Poor credit history.

So, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence going in to the dealer today. I would love to wait longer, but unfortunately, our car was involved in an incident (caught fire, long story), and we need to get a second car since our rental is expiring after 5 weeks.

Message 7 of 11
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

@JRadV wrote:

Welp, I put in an application with DCU yesterday, and I checked my loan status today, and it was marked as declined.

Reason: Delinquent past or present credit obligations with others. Insufficient number of satisfactory rated accounts. Poor credit history.

So, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence going in to the dealer today. I would love to wait longer, but unfortunately, our car was involved in an incident (caught fire, long story), and we need to get a second car since our rental is expiring after 5 weeks.

The dealer will get you approved. No doubt about that. Its just a matter of what your APR is going to be and your credit will be shotgunned to different lenders resulting in multiple hard hits.

Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 8 of 11
JRadV

Well, just got back from the dealer, and they got us approved through "Wells Fargo Dealer Services" for 72 months at 7.99%. Not terrible, but not great either. My "auto enhanced" scores that the dealer pulled were significantly lower then my Fico Auto Score 8 (30-40 pts lower then on myFico), or my standard Fico scores (70-80 points lower then myFico), so that was a real surprise. 

Our plan is to just hunker down and pay off some extra principle on this loan, and then refianace in 8-12 months at a lower rate. Thanks everyone!

Message 9 of 11
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

You can refi in 90 days, I highly recommend it, especially if you know your scores will go up.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.