cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Chance?

tag
HeavyDuty

Approval Chance?

My wife is looking to shop for a new vehicle real soon and was wondering what her chances were for being approved for a loan.

She's looking at around 28000-33000 for a loan.

Income is 40800 a year .Her credit scores range from 700-715 between the 3 bureaus.

She is currently a co-signer with an auto lease that was never late on payment and is ending in about 9 months.

Payment is 480 a month and there is about 4800 remaining on the loan. This is the oldest account on her report (2 1/2 years).

She has no other loans and no rent/mortage to pay.

She recently applied for 3 credit cards (chase,discover,amex) and was approved for all three.

The only other account showing on her report is a closed secured card account that was never late and was reported for about 2 years.

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Approval Chance?

Well I would guess that her approval chances are excellent if those are FICO scores you are quoting. Her income is enough to carry both car notes without other major obligations. Even though she is a co-signer on the other note the bank is going to look at it as an obligation to her, but the perfect payment history is a big help.

When you say she has no rent or mortgage to pay, I assume you mean because it comes from your salary. But if there is a joint mortgage on her credit reports that is going to affect the debt to income ratios. If necessary I believe you can disclose household income (yours and hers) on the loan application without your actually being a part of the loan.

Her best move would be to apply for the auto loan through your regular financial institution (bank or CU) and then challenge the dealership to beat the rate she gets. No need to send multiple applications out on your own.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
HeavyDuty

Thanks for the advice.

But what if we are not with a credit union and our bank is not an option?

She's thinking about applying for the blank check program from Capital One or doing it from Road Loans.

You think she'll be approved on either of those sites for the amount of loan she's asking?

Message 3 of 8
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I think her credit is way too good to be looking at Road Loans.

Message 4 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Capital One actually does offer some decent rates for good credit and that could be a viable option. I agree with the poster above, stay away from any lender whose primary purpose is sub prime credit loans. There is nothing wrong with going to the dealer and just letting them handle the financing either. The recommendation for preapprovals is simply so you know where you stand beforehand. Not all dealership finance offices are out to get you. Most will give you the best rate that they can secure for you. After all they want to sell cars.

I've read recent articles where they state that the dealers true profit center is in the service department. I guess that must be true. My local dealer does 30 -100 cars a day in the service department and I know that they are not selling that many even on a weekend day.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 5 of 8
HeavyDuty

I'll tell her to give Capital One a shot before she goes shopping.

Wife and I have terrible experiences when buying cars and the financing part is the worst.

I have bought 5 cars and there was never a time when I felt good after coming out of the financing office.

Message 6 of 8
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@HeavyDuty wrote:

Wife and I have terrible experiences when buying cars and the financing part is the worst.

I have bought 5 cars and there was never a time when I felt good after coming out of the financing office.

Because you need to know as much about financing, and how finance managers wheel and deal, before you walk in...  Forget monthy payment amounts.  Figure what you want the total amount financed to be, then calculate the payments yourself and how long you want to pay.  Do this with trying to capture the lowest interest rate you can.  Use a credit Union if you can, and put down the largest amount possible that you can afford.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Message 7 of 8
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@mtrsprt wrote:

@HeavyDuty wrote:

Because you need to know as much about financing, and how finance managers wheel and deal, before you walk in...  Forget monthy payment amounts.  Figure what you want the total amount financed to be, then calculate the payments yourself and how long you want to pay.  Do this with trying to capture the lowest interest rate you can.  Use a credit Union if you can, and put down the largest amount possible that you can afford.

Great advice.

Op, you are starting off well by consulting the forum.

Research is your biggest ally in the car search.

Look through the stickied threads and see if you find anything useful.

There are so many aspects of an auto deal to negotiate and have knowledge on. Good luck in the car search.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.