cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Odds

tag
Ferninator1871

Approval Odds

Just going to keep it short and simple. I plan on purchasing a newer car within the next couple months with a loan of about 20k, my previous loan was for 13.9k.

Little background about my self. 

20 years old, I make about 2k per month before Uncle Sams share.

Have a current auto loan trough my CU going on about 10months with no late or missed payments. Planning to sell it privately to make a little extra.

Plan on putting about 3k down. With no Co-Signer

Never pulled from FICO yet, but My transunion score is 671 pulled from my Walmart CC.

My CL combined is about 3.2k with about 18% credit utilization.

Just wanted to know my approval odds, and how much I will be looking at paying per month with an auto loan between the 18k-20k range.

Please keep all negative comments to your self.

Thanks in Advance !

My CC: Wells Fargo UnSecured Card $900. Walmart Discover Card- $1400. Capitol One Platinum- $4,000 Barclays Apple rewards- $3,000 Chase Slate- $3,000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Approval Odds

@Ferninator1871 wrote:

Just going to keep it short and simple. I plan on purchasing a newer car within the next couple months with a loan of about 20k, my previous loan was for 13.9k.

Little background about my self. 

20 years old, I make about 2k per month before Uncle Sams share.

Have a current auto loan trough my CU going on about 10months with no late or missed payments. Planning to sell it privately to make a little extra.

Plan on putting about 3k down. With no Co-Signer

Never pulled from FICO yet, but My transunion score is 671 pulled from my Walmart CC.

My CL combined is about 3.2k with about 18% credit utilization.

Just wanted to know my approval odds, and how much I will be looking at paying per month with an auto loan between the 18k-20k range.

Please keep all negative comments to your self.

Thanks in Advance !

Lets say you find a $20k car, and put $3k down financing $17k at 3.9% interest for 3yrs that would be a ~$500 payment. 

Not sure what you're looking for, but that's an idea of the numbers using a simple auto loan calculator. You plan on selling your car first and then financing through the same CU?  What is the current rate they gave you? You can probably just call them and tell them your score and they can give you an idea of your rates.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 6
Ferninator1871

I was looking more along the lines of financing 20k for about 5years maybe 5.5.
And using the 3k to pay for tax, fees and all that other stuff.
I have a 7.25% rate at the moment, but my mom was the cosigner then. I'm trying to do it solo this time.

And yes I plan on selling the car first then applying for another loan through my CU but also shopping around for other rates.
My CC: Wells Fargo UnSecured Card $900. Walmart Discover Card- $1400. Capitol One Platinum- $4,000 Barclays Apple rewards- $3,000 Chase Slate- $3,000
Message 3 of 6
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Ferninator1871 wrote:
I was looking more along the lines of financing 20k for about 5years maybe 5.5.
And using the 3k to pay for tax, fees and all that other stuff.
I have a 7.25% rate at the moment, but my mom was the cosigner then. I'm trying to do it solo this time.

And yes I plan on selling the car first then applying for another loan through my CU but also shopping around for other rates.

Have you pulled your FICO's here? Having a TU of 671 is decent enough to get an auto on your own, and going through the same CU will be helpful since you have already built a relationship with them.  Not knowing all your monthly bills, and going off monthly payments for your $20k car you're looking at spending nearly half your income on vehicle related expenses alone. $20k loan at 7.25% for 5 years is just at $400 per month plus insurance plus fuel costs, etc. will put you closer to $600 per month for your new car. So, even if the CU does approve you would you be willing to spend that much of your hard earned salary for your vehicle expenses alone?

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 6
lambo003
Contributor

Just to add my 2 cents to what j_casteel said I am around the same age as the OP (don't know if that really matters but wanted it to be known that the OP isn't alone lol) and I make $1800 before taxes and about 85% of my monthly pay goes towards my car (car payment: $485, insurance: $465, and monthly gas: $240). That's with everything in my name also. No cosigner. Idk what rates you'll receive but if your doing it on your own like I am I suggest you really think about what your getting yourself into. Speaking from experience. I was originally supposed to buy a car $10,000 less than what I spent on a car (financed $26k at 9.95%) to have payments in the early $300s to $200s. And then add in gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. For some ppl it can be a struggle. But I've been maintaining for about 8 months now (lookn to refinance soon !). But if I could do it all over again I'd buy a car closer to $15k like I originally planned on doing. Depending on what type of cars your into you can find a pretty nice used car for around $15k. You'll be building your credit and doing it at a cheap rate even if you had a high interest rate you'd still have a decent payment. So my point is think about it before you get yourself into something you may regret down the road and shop around for diff cars as much as you can before you make your decision set in stone. (autotrader.com, cars.com, cargurus.com, groovecars.com (your CU may even have a $300 off coupon, make sure to check it out) and the manufacturing dealer website are some good sites to shop before making your decision). Just don't rush it. Goodluck with your decision and w.e car you choose ! Smiley Happy
Barclaycard Ring $5,000 | Discover It $2,000 | Bank of America Cash Back Rewards $1,500 | TeachersFCU $500
Message 5 of 6
Remember0
Valued Contributor

So first try to maximize your FICO before applying if you can. Pay off all cards except 1 so that a 0 balance shows on your statement. That 1 card you don't pay off should report a balance of < 10% of it's limit.Keep in mind you can use the cards. But BEFORE your statement comes, pay it all off, so that the statement shows a balance of 0. That should give you a couple FICO points.

In general, I don't think you'll have any issues. Try your local CU if you want. But if not the local CU, I'd start with perhaps DCU (though I don't think they'll give you 20k given the income, they might approve for only 15k). If you want a 20k loan, it might be better to try BofA or CapOne.

And finally when you do loan apps, make sure you put 2k as gross income. 2k is like a magical number. 1,999 might produce declines at some financial institutions, but 2k should work at 99% of places.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.