cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved @ Wells Fargo for 72month refi @ 17%, have 630 median FICO score. anyone else I could try?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved @ Wells Fargo for 72month refi @ 17%, have 630 median FICO score. anyone else I could try?

any other lender I can try?  Should I try a lending tree or something?  Im not a member of a credit union.  I bank w/ TD Bank.  I live in New Jersey.  Car is 1 years old w/ 20k miles.  either no negative equity or maybe 2-3% negative equtiy at most.  I put a lot down on the car when I purchased new.  looking to lower my payment. 

I bought the car with 5-year loan 17.5% rate

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved @ Wells Fargo for 72month refi @ 17%, have 630 median FICO score. anyone else I could

I was just denied at BofA
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved @ Wells Fargo for 72month refi @ 17%, have 630 median FICO score. anyone else I could

capital one no good, 30k limit on refis    i need 49k       applied to chase auto, currently pending.
Message 3 of 19
Takunda1
Established Contributor

If you ar enot a CU member... make yourself one ASAP.  Just pick any CU close to wher you live an here what they have to say. I would recommend you walk in to to the CU instead of applying online.
Message 4 of 19
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Have you tried to see how making bi-weekly payments would effect your loan. For example- your loan is 400 a month- pay 200 every other week. Over the course of a year you make the equivalent of 13 monthly payments- but because more money is applied to the principle you will save time and interest. I am sure you will be better financially making bi-weekly payments on your existing loan, then refinancing for 1/2 % reduction.- Especially for 72 months. if you need a loan calculator that you can put your numbers into- go to:

http://nfcu.org/calcs/index.html

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would this differ if I did the following:

first month, pay my bill as soon as it is due and then pay 1 month just towards principal, then pay each much as soon as its due?  essentially the savings is jus because im paying an extra month per year?  i dont get paid weekly or bi-weekly, im paid 2x per month

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, you owe $49k on a 5 year 17.5% loan?  That's over $8500 in annual interest right now, which equates to around 700 monthly interest.

If you typed the numbers right on what you need to refi, then yes, even if you paid a lot down, you are going to have negative equity or go into negative equity soon.  Your payments are far too much interest vs principle.  If you haven't yet developed a large negative equity, it's going to end up there, so I would suggest you do speak directly with a CU.

Personally, I would sell the car rather than pay that type of loan shark rate for a high value auto.  Drive a junker for 2 years and just the interest savings nets you $17,000 which is 1/3 the cost of your entire car.  Add the amortized principle you would have paid on top of that and you would have close to 1/2 the price of the car in cash.

Right now, IMO you can't afford the car.  Even if you can make the payments, you are murdering your savings by not putting that in savings, but paying it to a finance company.  I would downgrade asap unless you can get your APR down to 9% or less.

Don't make the finance company rich, start adding to your own wealth.  Cars are wasting assets.  And in this case you are paying 17.5% on the original value for an asset that is going down in value.  The total cost to you is staggering.  But again, this is just my opinion and offered as only that.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 45 months remaining on the car loan.  Pmt X # of Pmt = $66k, current loan is about 49k, car is worth 50k now.  I bought it new for .. about 85-90k. 

Even if I go out and buy a 30k car, id need to put down 20% or so to get a new loan. 

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you may need to put 20% down, which means on a 30k car you would only borrow 24k.  Even if you received NO reduction in APR, the fact that you have a 24k balance as opposed to 49k saves you over $4k in interest just in the first year.  And any reduction you could get in the APR (due to the lower loan size and percentage of down) means even more savings in your pocket.

$4-5k per year interest, just thrown away.  That could max you annual IRA contributions.  That could pay for a pretty nice vacation.  That could buy a complete home entertainment center EVERY year.  That could put $25k or more in your bank (not including any returns of interest paid to you) over the course of 5 years.

The point I was trying to illustrate is that you are actully GIVING UP a lot in order to drive the car and that car is depreciating in value and is aging toward costly repairs at some point.

Personally, I sell the car, put 20% down and buy the $25-30k car and be thrilled to see all that cash accumulate in my savings and investment or retirment accounts.  The balance of the loan costs you interest.  The cash in your account pays you interest.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you.  My opinion, for what it is worth (or worthless Smiley Happy ) is that the car is too expensive at that APR and you are throwing a ton of money away never to be recovered and to end up in a worthless asset so many years from now.

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-04-2009 09:24 AM
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

you make really solid points.  my FICO scores aren't that low, they are about 620 - 645 range. (not great)  when i got the loan they were more like 520ish.  I have no credit card debt, 20k gross income per month, but in Q408 I had a few auto lates because all my savings was tied up in an investment fund that halted liquidity until feb 1st and it really screwed up my planning. 

I just spoke to a subprimey type lender and they said I was approved so far after initial info.  They only do 40k loans but said they think they could piggyback a 9k 2nd lien note.  i dont anticipate much improvement in rate, but i can extend loan out to 6 years from today to lower my payment near term.  I think there is high likihood i pay this whole loan off feb 1 2010, so im trying to lower my cash out of pocket between now and then.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.