cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asked Another Way - Does CC Debt matter?

tag
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Asked Another Way - Does CC Debt matter?

I say no, other than if it's a bit too high it might impact your DTI ratio.

When my FICO 08 Bank Card was 661, my FICO 08 Auto was 635 (9/15). My credit card UTL was 30%. Today my FICO 08 Bank Card is 679, yet my FICO 08 Auto is 639. My credit card UTL is 45%, but will go down further to about 28-29% since I just paid off my Merrick card.

Base that information, I want to either -

1) Make two or three lump sum payments on my current car loan to push down the amount owed.

2) Save money so I can put down enough to cover the negative balance and knock down the amount that will get financed.

Every time I have tried to roll-in the negative, it's pushed me down to Tier 4. I am also chasing rapid depreciation. I put miles on via Uber and it's a manual trans car.  At this point maximum FICO scoring won't benefit me nearly as much as putting down money and paying off the negative.

My Car Max quote is already no good. I can get another one, it should come out the same. I will list it with Beepi to help force the dealers hand, since I will get the quoted value if the car doesn't sell in 30 days, so the dealer can give me that amount or play games and wait 30 days which I will likely not give them the sale.

At the same time I will EO Capital One to give an increase on my QS1. If you believe paying that card off would get me a larger increase, please chime in.

I've never tried to come up with this much cash before but since my cards are paid off otherwise, it should be easier to save $3,000 in 45 days. I roughly paid that much in credit card debt in the same amount of time.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Asked Another Way - Does CC Debt matter?

Credit card debt level actually doesn't really affect DTI all that much, unless it is causing your lenders to report a higher minimum payment than they would if the account had little or no balance. Those reported "required payment"/minimum payments are what is used to calculate DTI along with rent/lease/mortgage and any other installment loans (i.e., student loan payments)

It does affect your score, though, in the utilization department - which is 30 percent of your FICO score.  The only thing that affects your score more than utilization is payment history (35% of your score).  At any moment in time - when lenders pull your credit and calculate your score - if your balances on credit cards are higher than about 30% across the board, your score at that moment will suffer for it.  This means that if you have three $500 cards (a total limit of $1500) and you have more than $450 balance reporting, total, you have crossed the 30% threshold and your score has accordingly been negatively affected.

This is why you see folks talking about "best scoring" practices right before applying for credit like a car loan - the ideal is to have all cards reporting zero balance except one, which is reporting under 10%.   So in the above scenario, that means with three $500 cards, having two with $0 balance and one with less than $50.  That is the best possible scoring arrangement - the situation that will yield the best possible score on utilization.  Oddly enough - many things in FICOland are odd, after all - having all of your accounts paid off with $0 balances actually isn't ideal in terms of scoring for a lending application.

You're absolutely right that it is good to pay down your principal and eliminate negative equity, especially if you have piled on mileage or otherwise affected book value on your current vehicle - but you will need to consider the credit card debt levels too, if you want to optimize your score for applying for a new loan.  As you've seen, rolling high amounts of negative equity into a new loan can affect the interest rate you can get on a new deal, but so can your FICO score.  So it's going to have to be a balancing act if you want the optimal result - paying down enough of your car note to achieve minimum negative equity, and still paying down credit card utilization to improve your FICO.  

Message 2 of 3
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Asked Another Way - Does CC Debt matter?

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit card debt level actually doesn't really affect DTI all that much, unless it is causing your lenders to report a higher minimum payment than they would if the account had little or no balance. Those reported "required payment"/minimum payments are what is used to calculate DTI along with rent/lease/mortgage and any other installment loans (i.e., student loan payments)

It does affect your score, though, in the utilization department - which is 30 percent of your FICO score.  The only thing that affects your score more than utilization is payment history (35% of your score).  At any moment in time - when lenders pull your credit and calculate your score - if your balances on credit cards are higher than about 30% across the board, your score at that moment will suffer for it.  This means that if you have three $500 cards (a total limit of $1500) and you have more than $450 balance reporting, total, you have crossed the 30% threshold and your score has accordingly been negatively affected.

This is why you see folks talking about "best scoring" practices right before applying for credit like a car loan - the ideal is to have all cards reporting zero balance except one, which is reporting under 10%.   So in the above scenario, that means with three $500 cards, having two with $0 balance and one with less than $50.  That is the best possible scoring arrangement - the situation that will yield the best possible score on utilization.  Oddly enough - many things in FICOland are odd, after all - having all of your accounts paid off with $0 balances actually isn't ideal in terms of scoring for a lending application.

You're absolutely right that it is good to pay down your principal and eliminate negative equity, especially if you have piled on mileage or otherwise affected book value on your current vehicle - but you will need to consider the credit card debt levels too, if you want to optimize your score for applying for a new loan.  As you've seen, rolling high amounts of negative equity into a new loan can affect the interest rate you can get on a new deal, but so can your FICO score.  So it's going to have to be a balancing act if you want the optimal result - paying down enough of your car note to achieve minimum negative equity, and still paying down credit card utilization to improve your FICO.  

That's what I thought, I just wanted to open some disussion about it.

After writing that, I feel even stronger about paying down the negative balance. Based on DTI, FICO Scores and Payment History the current approved amount is about $20,000 

Credit Card Balances do impact FICO scoring, but payment history and no negative marks like a repo is what impacts FICO Auto Enhanced Scores.

By month's end my CC balances will be 0,0,0,0,200

It won't change my Fico Auto Enhanced however, only the exclusion of the repo at the end of next month will do that.

Now if my calculations are right I might be able to lease since the total lease amount is around what banks are limiting me to ($20,146). Still requires me to pay the negative balance. at least some of it.

If true about Tiers, I might not get Ford's best money factor (interest rate for a lease) but that might not be as important since my payments would be inline with DTI.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.