cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Approval - Change loan amount?

tag
BeachComber10

Auto Loan Approval - Change loan amount?

So, I was initially looking at a used car and requested an overestimated 25k loan with Bank of America and got approved (car was 29k).  Well, the car I was looking at got sold so I started looking around at others and found a new one I like but I would need to increase the loan amount to 30k (car is 35k) to be safe.  The quote for the 25k loan is still good for a few weeks.

My question is, do I call Bank of America asking to change the loan from 25k to 30k and ask for new rates and see if they approve, or do I just blindly apply again and potentially have two loan approvals out there for a short time?

Now, why not just make up the difference in cash and use the 25k loan that's already approved?  Becuase I'm about 3.5k short for that.  Why not wait to save it up?  Ironically my car died this morning, and by then the loan quote would be stale anyway and I'd have to eat another hard inquiry.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Loan Approval - Change loan amount?

I would call in and see what they say, worst they can say is no.

Message 2 of 5
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

If the 25K approval was because that is what you asked for then you should have no problem going to 30K especially for a new vehicle. If you just submitted a request for an auto loan and they came back at 25K max then it may be a tougher road.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
BeachComber10

I did request a 25k loan initially.  I can see why it'd be harder if I just requested and loan and the bank came back with a 25k max.

Well, I called them and the end result was they raised the loan to 30k with the same rates even.  I guess it never hurts to ask Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Nice.

That was simple enough.

What are you getting?

Are going to give the dealer a chance to beat the rate?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.