Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Frequent Contributor

Auto Loan Approval with Open Tax Lien - SUCCESS w/ Chase

[ Edited ]

I have pre-approved with Cap 1 at 6.95% - 10.95% depending on the car, loan term, loam amt etc.  I have an open $32k IRS tax lien on my credit from 6 years ago.  I am making payments on it.

Who is tax lien friendly?  I have a perfect payment history with all creditors for past 26 mos or so, all CO's and collections have been paid, etc.  Only 10% revolving balance -- high income, low DTI but I am wondering if I have any chances with the Special Financing offers with like NIssan or other car makers?

I screwed myself 3+ years ago buying a car that I had a 25% interest rate on because I couldn't get anything else and needed a car... that car is paid off now and my credit has improved SIGNIFICANTLY and 100+ points since that fiasco.... I want to make sure I'm not just assuming I can't get better than Cap1.  I have 3 paid car loans on my credit with perfect payment history.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

myFICO's as of 1/24: EQ: 655 // TU: 669 // EXP: 677
WALLET: NFCU cashRewards $10k | $15k LOC I AMEX Blue ED $2,000 & AMEX PRG | Costco Citi $6500 | Discover IT $2,700 | Merrick Bank $1,800 | Sam's Club $6,000 | Cap1 QS1 $1,750 | Carson's $30,000 | Kohls $3000 | VS $4,100 | Overstock $2500 | JCP $5000

REBUILD STARTED: 4/27/15: EQ: 579 // TU: 627 // EXP: 616
Established Contributor

Re: Auto Loan Approval with Open Tax Lien on Reports?

Shann0n_marie wrote:

I have pre-approved with Cap 1 at 6.95% - 10.95% depending on the car, loan term, loam amt etc.  I have an open $32k IRS tax lien on my credit from 6 years ago.  I am making payments on it.

Who is tax lien friendly?  I have a perfect payment history with all creditors for past 26 mos or so, all CO's and collections have been paid, etc.  Only 10% revolving balance -- high income, low DTI but I am wondering if I have any chances with the Special Financing offers with like NIssan or other car makers?

I screwed myself 3+ years ago buying a car that I had a 25% interest rate on because I couldn't get anything else and needed a car... that car is paid off now and my credit has improved SIGNIFICANTLY and 100+ points since that fiasco.... I want to make sure I'm not just assuming I can't get better than Cap1.  I have 3 paid car loans on my credit with perfect payment history.

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Some captive finance lenders may overlook the open tax lien.

You already have the Cap One approval.

Just use that to shop.. go find a car you want based on your current approval.

When you do apply via the dealer. Don't reveal your rate. Just tell them to give you their best.

Contributor

Spit-balling here. I don't know your income situation but have you looked into the "is it possible" realm of an Offer In Compromise with the IRS ? I had a lien because I was an early victim of Refund Fraud and they treated me like the criminal rather than the victim. After a few years of getting nowhere, the OIC helped in my income situation because I became disabled during the battle.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Established Member

I have two liens and I was approved for 39.3k through cap 1 (did not use). I applied through Light mStream (Suntrust) and was denied. Went to the dealership and received an approval from Suntrust on 45k. Income was around 54k. Auto scores ranged from 720-742. Hope this helps. Good luck... I will be rooting for you !!!
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok so I was approved with Cap 1 for an interest rate from 6.95% - 10.95  but after applying for multiple CU's and getting denied - I found the car I wanted and applied for Mazda Financing and was approved at a 3.75% interest rate, with Tier 5 credit - they pulled EX Auto 2 scores and I have a 648.  I was financed for about $31k, $116k/yr income, 20% DTI and they didn't ask for proof of income docs.

And, now we know that Chase is ok with open tax liens.  Smiley Happy  And I loveeeeee my new baby. Heart  Thanks everyone!

myFICO's as of 1/24: EQ: 655 // TU: 669 // EXP: 677
WALLET: NFCU cashRewards $10k | $15k LOC I AMEX Blue ED $2,000 & AMEX PRG | Costco Citi $6500 | Discover IT $2,700 | Merrick Bank $1,800 | Sam's Club $6,000 | Cap1 QS1 $1,750 | Carson's $30,000 | Kohls $3000 | VS $4,100 | Overstock $2500 | JCP $5000

REBUILD STARTED: 4/27/15: EQ: 579 // TU: 627 // EXP: 616
Highlighted
Established Member

[ Edited ]

And if anyone wants a decent credit card with an open tax lien, try Discover.  They approved me with a 6 figure Fed lien - $3K.  Denied me for the 0% transfer card, but approved me for the regular card.  The letter was amusing.  It listed all these reasons why I was denied for the card I wanted, but then said, "Oh, but you can still have this one."  I don't get the logic, but hey, I'll take it.

I will soon be working to get the lien removed.  The SOL is about to expire. Praying.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.