Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Approvals!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan Approvals!

To answer both questions, no negative equity HOWEVER, at 1% the interest is $1200 for the entire term, you can't get the rebates and get 1% rate so I had to make a choice I'd rather not have the interest then have the 10K in rebates in a much much much higher interest-rate because now you're straight paying the value of the car off with a little going on but the interest most of it's going on the principle that kind ar so I had to make a choice I'd rather not have the interest then have the 10K in rebates in a much much much higher interest-rate because now you're straight paying the value of the car off with a little going on but the interest most of it's going on the principle of that kind of low low rate two years worth of payments will take the balance down about 10 K I don't think it's going to depreciate that fast if you keep the mileage low
Message 3321 of 4,736
Cellice
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
To answer both questions, no negative equity HOWEVER, at 1% the interest is $1200 for the entire term, you can't get the rebates and get 1% rate so I had to make a choice I'd rather not have the interest then have the 10K in rebates in a much much much higher interest-rate because now you're straight paying the value of the car off with a little going on but the interest most of it's going on the principle that kind ar so I had to make a choice I'd rather not have the interest then have the 10K in rebates in a much much much higher interest-rate because now you're straight paying the value of the car off with a little going on but the interest most of it's going on the principle of that kind of low low rate two years worth of payments will take the balance down about 10 K I don't think it's going to depreciate that fast if you keep the mileage low

Good to know. I think I will pick up one up as a second car. However, I'll take all the rebates. PenFed can give me 1.9% for 72 months. The 10K in rebates are worth it.

Message 3322 of 4,736
army88m
Established Member

APPROVING BANK: Capital One Auto
BUREAU PULLED: Equifax
CREDIT SCORE:    608
CUSTOMER STATE OF RESIDENCE:     Ohio
NEW/USED:   New
YEAR OF VEHICLE:   2016
MAKE:   Chevy
MODEL:    Spark
MILEAGE:    19
RETAIL/LEASE:   15,873.60
AMOUNT OF LOAN:   16,957.16 with gap coverage and misc. fees
TERM CONTRACTED:  72
APR/LEASE RATE:   14%
MONTHLY PAYMENT:  357.64
ANNUAL INCOME:   29k
DEBT TO INCOME RATIO:  Not sure Only this loan and a couple small student loans under 10k
MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTARY:  I was shocked at the 14% interest I figured it would be more with my current score. I've never had an auto loan and have only 3 student loans that I've never been late on. I did however have a capital one charge off that I paid of a month or two ago and a seventh avenue charge off paid in February and 7 medical collections I am paying on . I have 3 credit cards all in good standing NO LATES. I am on the way to a better score and after 6 months of payments I plan on refinancing with my local credit union.   IMG_0235.JPG

Message 3323 of 4,736
army88m
Established Member

APPROVING BANK:    Capital One
BUREAU PULLED:     Equifax
CREDIT SCORE:        608
CUSTOMER STATE OF RESIDENCE:      Ohio
NEW/USED:      New
YEAR OF VEHICLE:       2016
MAKE:      Chevy
MODEL:     Spark
MILEAGE:      49 after my test drive
RETAIL/LEASE:  15.873.60
AMOUNT OF LOAN:     16,957.16
TERM CONTRACTED:   72
APR/LEASE RATE:      14%
MONTHLY PAYMENT:   357.64
ANNUAL INCOME:      29k
DEBT TO INCOME RATIO:  Not sure
MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTARY:  This is my first auto loan and i have 3 small student loans I am paying on. I did have 2 paid charge offs on my reports, one from Capital One and one from Seventh avenue. They are due to fall off in the next couple of years so I was shocked when Capital One had given me the best deal. 14 percent interest is high, but not as high as I had expected after reseaching these forums. I am going to pay on time every time and refinance in hopefully 6 months with my credit union. I would have waited until my scores were better, but my 94 Ranger had 259,092 miles the motor was strong but the tranny was shot the air didn't work and I drive my mother to the doctors often so I needed a newer vehicle.

IMG_0235.JPG

Message 3324 of 4,736
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try dcu?  I would think you could get a better rate.

Message 3325 of 4,736
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the 200s.  My suggestion is to make sure you keep this car for the duration.  My opinion is that you would have been better off with the 10k in rebates, the problem with these rebates is they kill resale value by 10k so if you pass on the rebates you take an even bigger depreciation hit.  Basically 10k plus the regular 4-5k that we all take as soon as we drive a car off the lot.  If your in for the long haul the 1% interest will clearly help a great deal but I am afraid if you trade or sell in the first 4-5 years of the loan you will be upside down by a pretty good bit.  One other thing to take a peak a is the GAP insurance.  GAP has a limit to how much over fair market they will pay so if your car is totaled or stolen during this first 4 years or so you might be stuck with a portion of the payoff despite the GAP.  Please don't take my comments as critisim, they are just things to consider.  One thing to consider is your warranty, Chrysler has an excellent warranty already, it is 5 years 100,000 miles so I don't think they warranty the dealership sold you has much if any value.   The good news is you can cancel a warranty and get your loan balance reduced if you choose.  That might be something to consider.  

Message 3326 of 4,736
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you think about taking the rebates and then refinancing at a later date when your scores were better and the subprime interest rate would likely go down? 10K is a lot to leave on the table. Too late now I guess, but perhaps other readers will get some use from this suggestion. Congrats on 1% for 84 mos though. That's nice.

Message 3327 of 4,736
Anonymous
Not applicable

APPROVING BANK: American Honda Financial
BUREAU PULLED: EX  (Auto Enhanced 8)
CREDIT SCORE: 628 
CUSTOMER STATE OF RESIDENCE: CA
NEW/USED: New
YEAR OF VEHICLE: 2016
MAKE: Honda
MODEL: Civic EX
MILEAGE: 4 miles
RETAIL/LEASE: Lease
AMOUNT OF LOAN: $14000 (leased portion)
TERM CONTRACTED: 36 months
APR/LEASE RATE: ???
MONTHLY PAYMENT: $350
ANNUAL INCOME: $45,000
DEBT TO INCOME RATIO: 45%
MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTARY:  I was not happy that they would not use my EQ or TU Auto Enhanced scores as they are almost 675.  Anywho, I had a trade in that was actually under by $1400 so they added it to my loan, but discounted the car by that amount.  I did not put any money down.  I have a very steady job and my previous car had 36 months of perfect payments.  I don't know why I wrote 36 months, since I've only had it for 36 months.  LOL.  They stated that my job and my perfect payment history were the key to securing my loan.  I got a call today to inform me that my loan was officially approved.   

Message 3328 of 4,736
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the 200s.  My suggestion is to make sure you keep this car for the duration.  My opinion is that you would have been better off with the 10k in rebates, the problem with these rebates is they kill resale value by 10k so if you pass on the rebates you take an even bigger depreciation hit.  Basically 10k plus the regular 4-5k that we all take as soon as we drive a car off the lot.  If your in for the long haul the 1% interest will clearly help a great deal but I am afraid if you trade or sell in the first 4-5 years of the loan you will be upside down by a pretty good bit.  One other thing to take a peak a is the GAP insurance.  GAP has a limit to how much over fair market they will pay so if your car is totaled or stolen during this first 4 years or so you might be stuck with a portion of the payoff despite the GAP.  Please don't take my comments as critisim, they are just things to consider.  One thing to consider is your warranty, Chrysler has an excellent warranty already, it is 5 years 100,000 miles so I don't think they warranty the dealership sold you has much if any value.   The good news is you can cancel a warranty and get your loan balance reduced if you choose.  That might be something to consider.  

The 5yr/100k is just a powertrain warranty, the bumper to bumper is 3/36, the extended warranty is bumper to bumper with only a $100 ded - and we will probably make another payment or two every year more than needed to pay it down quicker, esp with 1% ... the mileage will never be more than 10-12k a year, so the depreciation won't be that bad, and by summer I'm going to be debt free minus my 3 car payments lol

Message 3329 of 4,736
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 5yr/100k is just a powertrain warranty, the bumper to bumper is 3/36, the extended warranty is bumper to bumper with only a $100 ded - and we will probably make another payment or two every year more than needed to pay it down quicker, esp with 1% ... the mileage will never be more than 10-12k a year, so the depreciation won't be that bad, and by summer I'm going to be debt free minus my 3 car payments lol

First ting is first- this is my opinion from years of car sales and my opinion.  I dont have all the facts so I cnt know for sure what was the best way. I am just rying to understand yoour decision to take 1% over 10K in rebates so please dont be offended. 

Ok so I have a few things to ask.  

1st what interest rate id they offer other than the 1%? Or did you go that far? 

2nd are you sure you werent supposed to get some rebates? I didn't think you gave all of them up when opting into the financing.  

To be brutally honest you are around $14,000 to $16,000 upside down.  Mileage will help but you have about 5.5 years until you will be able to reasonably trade it in with negative equity that could be rolled into another car.  That time frame is based upon te 2015 200S with 4k miles selling for list price $18,995 before negiotation.  So you know they probably paid about $16k to $17k for it.  So figuring that depreciation and looking at some scales is how i got to ~ 5.5 years

so here is my math

You

Loan $36,000  APR 1%  payments $450  84 months  total paid back (IF KEPT full term)  $37,290       interest total  $1,290

@ 36 months principal balance $20,880

Opt 1 

Loan $26,000  APR 9%  Payments $469  72 months  total paid back (if kept ful term)        $33,859      interest total  $7,859

@ 36 month principle balance $14,738 

Opt 2

Loan $26,000 APR 6% payments $503  60 months  total paid back (if kept full term)       $30,159       interest total $4,159

@ 36 months prinicpal balance $11,341 

A lot of times you can get a bit better rate with shorter term and also better LTV.  Did you check local credit union or preapproval anywhere else?

Interest you are paying of $1290 is great and I understand you will be making extra payements but you are $10,000 behind the ball already.  Had you gone with regular financing any additional payments also go straight to Balance and would decrease the interest paid as well.  The main issue is if you want to trade you are way behind.  Had you gone with any other payment options and you refinance you could possibly lower interst even more.  If you go trade it in at the larger interest options you have far less balance and would not, of course, pay all the interest.  These payments and interest are all estimates.  I am not dogging you and perhaps this is best for you but for 90% of all people the rebates are far better option.  I am doing this not to hassle you but to bring this to light in case someone else gets into a situation similar to yours that perhaps they will be prepared and understand all the options available to them.  Interest rate is just one thing to consider in the big picture of buying a car.  Every ones situation is different and you just have to take it all into consideration.  

Message 3330 of 4,736
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.