Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan - Fraud Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loan - Fraud Help

Hello everyone,

I would like to hear different opinions on the following situation. My wife and I were looking into buying a car last week so after finding one I decided to check her score to see what percentage of interest she could get. To our surprise it was 650; she's usually in the 750 range. So after pulling her report someone took out a credic card under her name and let it go unpaid. We already disputed everything wrong but now she is either getting really high rates or being denied. USSA gave her almost 13% and Capital One 7.6%. The other option I was considering was co-signing as I have a general score of 820 833 827, so she could probably get the best interest rates. The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about co-signing is dropping my score by a lot, simply because I already have my auto loan $30,000 (current balance $21,000). I used the simulator and taking a auto loan of $25,000 says it drops only 10 point. Every time I hit the 800 mark something happens that makes me go back to the high 700 but now that I actually kept it at the 800+ mark I hate to see it take a hit and go back to the 700 range. 

1. Can I trust the simulator or can it drop more than predicted? Have the simulator been accurate for anyone out there? 

2. What if I co-sign and later she refinance (once the dispute is resolved); is this a good idea? or just wait for the credit agencies to remove the account and reapply for a loan?

3. She is concern on reapplying again and taking another hard inquiry hit so that her score drops even more. You guys think it will drop significantly a second time after we are past the 14-30 day grace period of the origial inquiry? 

4. Is it a good idea or bad idea to refinance 1-2 months after taking the loan? or should we wait longer? Will this hurt her/my score?

5. What would you do in my situation? 

Feel free to add any scenario that I may have not considered. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan - Fraud Help

I don't have 800s.  When my boat loan reported as an auto loan at 99% utilization, my scores dropped 16-18 points across all 3 (FICO8 drops).  As that utilization is paid down month to month it appears that my scores are going up a little from it, but it's hard to say (rebuilding mode).

Make sure to file police reports and follow ALL the steps, in writing, to get fraudulent tradelines off her report.  It would be helpful for her to get that cleaned up ASAP and just app the loan herself at a reasonable interest rate!

How badly does she NEED a replacement car?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

She has a 2004 corolla and is not in that bad shape but is somewhat bad. Acceleration is lacking and brakes have issues (not just wear) so sometimes is a safety concern. And now that winter is almost here we think is time to get a new car.  

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's a tricky one if you don't have auto mechanic skills.  I'm guessing the trade-in value is close to zero?  If so, might just be valuable to start the identity theft process today, expedite it all out with details (and police report), and hold off as long as possible since if the weather changes to snow you can still just go and co-sign for her and have her drive off the same day.

I'm not familiar with how rate policy is for cosigners as I haven't done it in 20 years.  Back then, the interest rate was set by the main applicant's credit, the cosigner just guaranteed the loan, not a lower rate.  But this was forever ago.  Maybe it's changed now?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called a few Credit Unions and all except NFCU said they considered the co-signer to give better rates.

Message 5 of 10
Kree
Established Contributor

Could you private market sell her car instead of trading it in?

Your total loan amount would be higher, but you could use the cash value to pay down the utilization up front. Might help a bit.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good news then!  I'd still see if you can at least get the identity theft disputes in (via mail, with police reports) and see if you can get her scores up solo. 

It honestly won't crush your scores by any means, and in 6-12 months your scores will return to normal, so if that won't do it in time, cosigning for your wife is fine.

I generally am 99/100 times against cosigning, but if a marriage is stable, husband-wife cosigning is acceptable.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if I will take a big hit if I co-sign and later get out when she refinance under her name only? I don't know if opening and closing an account that quickly is good or really bad.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if I will take a big hit if I co-sign and later get out when she refinance under her name only? I don't know if opening and closing an account that quickly is good or really bad.

Wouldn’t change your score at all.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wouldn’t change your score at all.

awesome! thanks

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.