Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan - High Credit Util 40%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loan - High Credit Util 40%

Hi, I am hoping to get an autloan soon - we have a down payment of 20k, income of 110k and a dti of 34%. Credit Score 695, husbands score 690. However my credit usage is 40%  (22k) which I am working to get down but won't be able to all the way by the time the car comes. Total loan will be 37k for a 57k car. What are my chances?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan - High Credit Util 40%

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am hoping to get an autloan soon - we have a down payment of 20k, income of 110k and a dti of 34%. Credit Score 695, husbands score 690. However my credit usage is 40%  (22k) which I am working to get down but won't be able to all the way by the time the car comes. Total loan will be 37k for a 57k car. What are my chances?

Ouch.

But yes, I think you'd get approved with that kind of money down to answer your question. 

I would think long and hard about this however. 20k could go a long way towards improving your overall situation beyond having a luxury vehicle sitting in your driveway depreciating.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thank you. The vehicle is actually a van that we will be using to travel around the state's with our kids. So it will definitely be worth it. But you are right about getting that debt down. I no longer use any credit cards so I won't get into this mess again.
Message 3 of 9
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ouch.

But yes, I think you'd get approved with that kind of money down to answer your question. 

I would think long and hard about this however. 20k could go a long way towards improving your overall situation beyond having a luxury vehicle sitting in your driveway depreciating.

I agree, This loan sounds like it will be 1000/month in payments. give or take a few hundred depending upon interest and term length. Add in interest on unpaid CC balances,  and you could buy a cheaper vehicle with what you would be saving a month.

Plus, better credit scores.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

1000/month for a 37k loan? Is thst because of interest rates?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes thank you. The vehicle is actually a van that we will be using to travel around the state's with our kids. So it will definitely be worth it. But you are right about getting that debt down. I no longer use any credit cards so I won't get into this mess again.

I'm a big fan of buying higher priced vehicles that are a few years old and gently used at a fraction of the price. 

The car I wanted when I was 20 that would have come with a $500+ payment I bought 3 years old at 25 for a $275 payment. My best friend is still driving it with nearly 200k on the clock.

I would look and see what's out there just for fun. $15k towards your credit cards and $5k down on a $25k used van could have you enjoying those trips a lot more without excess debt weighing on ya Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Kree
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
1000/month for a 37k loan? Is thst because of interest rates?

Partially,

at 36 months, you pay over 1000 just in principal while each longer term increment will drop the principal, generally the longer the term the higher your % will be, so the payment doesn't drop as fast as one would assume when the term is lengthened. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense, thank you for your help!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a big fan of buying higher priced vehicles that are a few years old and gently used at a fraction of the price. 

The car I wanted when I was 20 that would have come with a $500+ payment I bought 3 years old at 25 for a $275 payment. My best friend is still driving it with nearly 200k on the clock.

I would look and see what's out there just for fun. $15k towards your credit cards and $5k down on a $25k used van could have you enjoying those trips a lot more without excess debt weighing on ya Smiley Happy

Totally agree! What will kill you the most is the stress of having all that debt.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.