Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Preapproval/Loan Shopping Questions

tag
betterdays2011
Contributor

Auto Loan Preapproval/Loan Shopping Questions

We are planning on purchasing a new (or possibly) newish used car this spring. It has been years since our last car purchase and I don't remember much about the process. We belong to a credit union though our last auto was financed through the dealer financing at a pretty good rate. Based on the info I have now, it looks like the rates are currently lower at our credit union. So my questions are: Do you recommend getting preapproved for a loan before you actually go car shopping? Will that preapproval hurt our credit score enough that we should hold off? Current scores are approximately 715-720 (always pay on time but high credit utilization). Income is about $160K. We are looking at replacing an aging minivan (paid off years ago). A second auto loan is still active but we will pay off before we buy the car. Should we do that before we go through the preapproval process? Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Loan Preapproval/Loan Shopping Questions

@betterdays2011 wrote:
We are planning on purchasing a new (or possibly) newish used car this spring. It has been years since our last car purchase and I don't remember much about the process. We belong to a credit union though our last auto was financed through the dealer financing at a pretty good rate. Based on the info I have now, it looks like the rates are currently lower at our credit union. So my questions are: Do you recommend getting preapproved for a loan before you actually go car shopping? Will that preapproval hurt our credit score enough that we should hold off? Current scores are approximately 715-720 (always pay on time but high credit utilization). Income is about $160K. We are looking at replacing an aging minivan (paid off years ago). A second auto loan is still active but we will pay off before we buy the car. Should we do that before we go through the preapproval process? Thanks!

Define car shopping?

Most cu pre approvals last 30 days.

Do all your homework, find which car you want then secure financing/pre approval

Message 2 of 5
Marcin1287

Depending on a car you want. I am in a market right now as well. Most of the dealers these days have .9/ 1.9/2.9 financing. With your scores assuming you have no negative marks you will be able to get those rates. I went to Toyota last week and put a deposit down on my car which will come first week of April. I was approved for 1.9 for 60 months. My scores were 770 but as long as you are in range 700-720 you should be able to get it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marcin1287 wrote:

Depending on a car you want. I am in a market right now as well. Most of the dealers these days have .9/ 1.9/2.9 financing (on specific makes and models). With your scores assuming you have no negative marks you will be able to get those rates. I went to Toyota last week and put a deposit down on my car which will come first week of April. I was approved for 1.9 for 60 months.(they are going to hold a promo rate on a vehicle order? many places do not- youget the rates and promotions that exist at the time of the deal) My scores were 770 but as long as you are in range 700-720 you should be able to get it.

It is always i a good idea to see what rate you can get from outside financing. In some cases you maybe loose some rebates if you take the promo rate, getting a 2.9% from a CU instead of 1.9% but gaining $1,500 in rebates may make more sense.

Message 4 of 5
striders
Valued Member

Keep in mind that in order to get the ADVERTISED MFR RATE (0.9%, no money down, etc.), you MUST FINANCE through the MFR financial institutions, such as American Honda Finance Corp, US Bank (Volvo), etc.

Read the fine print on these promo rate / lease from their website.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.