Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Loan Refinance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Loan Refinance

Hello. I just purchased a new car last night. I was approved by my credit union for a 23,201 loan at 7.9 % for 72 months. I considered that good because another dealership offered me 16% requiring atleast 3500 down. My credit score from myfico says its 602 but when the credit union ran it, it was 667. I guess that was from a different model. I am just starting to build credit. So my plan is to sell my old car and put about another 3k down for a total of 10k, slashing the amount owed down to 13k. After my loan and new credit card is reported for a couple months, i believe my score should jump quite a bit. My question is this. At what score should i expect to jump up to, and what kind of rates can i expect to get with each level of credit score? For example lets just say a 600-660 gets me 9.99, then a 660-700 gets me 5.9, etc...

Also, what are some of the best places to refinance? I know blue harbor advertises 1.99, but i've heard many bad things about them. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto Loan Refinance

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. I just purchased a new car last night. I was approved by my credit union for a 23,201 loan at 7.9 % for 72 months. I considered that good because another dealership offered me 16% requiring atleast 3500 down. My credit score from myfico says its 602 but when the credit union ran it, it was 667. I guess that was from a different model. I am just starting to build credit. So my plan is to sell my old car and put about another 3k down for a total of 10k, slashing the amount owed down to 13k. After my loan and new credit card is reported for a couple months, i believe my score should jump quite a bit. My question is this. At what score should i expect to jump up to, and what kind of rates can i expect to get with each level of credit score? For example lets just say a 600-660 gets me 9.99, then a 660-700 gets me 5.9, etc...

Also, what are some of the best places to refinance? I know blue harbor advertises 1.99, but i've heard many bad things about them. 

Think that's a good plan, but see if there's some better places financially and FICO score wise to use that 3K, namely to credit card debt.  3K on a 23K loan won't help that much and most people who find this forum have some debt at higher than 7.9%.  You're right on the different scoring models.

Hold it for 6 months while prettying up your report, and then look to refinance.  The gold standard on this forum is DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) that a ton of members including myself swear by for auto loan refinancing; I suspect Penfed might be a good option now too but I don't know them that well.  Shouldn't be that hard to beat 7.9% even if you don't clear the 675ish benchmark on a EQ 04 score which I think is still DCU's current top tier for ~2%.

Lot of information over in the Auto Loans board when you get closer to pulling the trigger on the refinance to figure out lender du jour.

        
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason why I wanna put that 3k into the car is because I have very little credit card debt. I got 2 cards recently. One with a 500 limit, and the other is 250. I only got the cards to build credit along with my car loan. I owe about 200 on the cards. My only other debt is due to students loans.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a brief search of the dcu site. Looks good. Let's say I'm able to improve my score to 700-720, what rate do you think I would be able to get?
Any others have experience with dcu? And what rates did you get...?
Message 4 of 6
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Think that's a good plan, but see if there's some better places financially and FICO score wise to use that 3K, namely to credit card debt.  3K on a 23K loan won't help that much and most people who find this forum have some debt at higher than 7.9%.  You're right on the different scoring models.

Hold it for 6 months while prettying up your report, and then look to refinance.  The gold standard on this forum is DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) that a ton of members including myself swear by for auto loan refinancing; I suspect Penfed might be a good option now too but I don't know them that well.  Shouldn't be that hard to beat 7.9% even if you don't clear the 675ish benchmark on a EQ 04 score which I think is still DCU's current top tier for ~2%.

Lot of information over in the Auto Loans board when you get closer to pulling the trigger on the refinance to figure out lender du jour.

Splitting hairs here, cause your advice is still sound, but it doesn't look like OP is using the full $23k of the loan. They have 7k now, want to sell their old car for 3k (10k total down payment) and finance the remaining $13k. 

Unless I'm reading this wrong...

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe i was unclear. i financed for 24k, put 1k down. Have another 3k coming to me along with th 7k i'll be getting for my old car. So when i refinance, it'll be for less than 13k. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.