Valued Member
aman31

Auto Loans with Late Payment

How bad will one late but recent payment affect getting a new car loan? I will be needing to purchase a new car within the next 3 to 9 months due to the poor condition of my current car. My current credit score is in the low 500s. I currently have 3 30 day lates on my most recent car loan. Two were in 2008 due bank error. I've fought the bank to get the correction. It leaves for a few months then comes back. The 3th 30 day late is correct. I was late on the final payment in Jan 2010 because it was almost four times the current payment amount so I had to take two months to pay.

No other recent lates. I had some late payments in 2005. I have 11 inquires in the last year mostly mortgage related. My credit cards are currently maxed out, but will be paid off before the car purchase. Also, I will be paying off one mortgage loan before the car purchase. Debt to Income will be low once the mortgage loan is paid off. Any chances of getting a decent rate with late payment showing on the loan? What can I do other than paying off my credit cards to improve my score during the next six months.  

Starting Score:
myfico score watch 576 (6/4/14)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+