Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Pre-Approved!

tag
tsu1112
New Contributor

Auto Pre-Approved!

Hi All,

I completed an app for an auto pre-approval through NFCU today and asked for 21K, they countered with 25K at 1.79% for up to 60 months. I couldn't be more pleased. They are mailing me the check now. I am going to purchase a 2012 prius and trade in my old car. I am not sure what credit report they ran or my score. I do know my transunion score from this site is 693.

I have never sought to go in pre-approved so my question is this, should I tell them up front I am pre-approved or wait until a price is decided.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto Pre-Approved!

Congrats! That's an awesome rate..quick question..can you apply if you're not a member?

Message 2 of 8
tsu1112
New Contributor

No, you have to be a member.

Message 3 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Don't discuss payment until price is determined.  The dealerships count on a good bit of money from financing, you won't get as good of a deal if they know you won't be financing with through them.(in general)  On the otherhand sometimes it's easier to just cut to the chase.  It really varies and you just have to get a feel for it.

Message 4 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

The majority of the "How to buy a car" articles I have read say that you should separate the parts of the deal (Purchase price - Trade in value - Financing) and treat them all as separate transactions. Get the best deal you can on each. And make sure you carefully review the final contract to assure they all reflect what you negotiate. I know when the salesperson pulls out their "Four square" I am about to go for a ride.Smiley Frustrated

I would say that the offer you have for financing from NFCU is very fair. Unless the dealer has some special financing for the particular model you are looking at I probably would not let them shotgun my credit to various banks and load me with inquiries.

Car shopping is not my favorite thing and I always take along a friend to help with the negotiations (And SHE is a CPA / MBA so they don't get much past her). I may have a Y chromosome but that doesn't make me the best negotiator.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 8
tsu1112
New Contributor

Thank you boomhower and holding, I appreciate the suggestions.

Message 6 of 8
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Quit question what is your income to debt ratio going to apply with them soon
NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 7 of 8
tsu1112
New Contributor

Mine is about 24%.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.