Regular Contributor
DaylightSlaving

Auto ReFi - When Will Original Loan Vanish?

Hey guys.

I recently refinanced my auto loan through my local credit union. Does anyone know how long it takes for the old loan to fall off your credit report?

I received a letter two months ago from the original financing agency stating that I'd been released from the loan, and that they had been paid in full. But I notice the old loan is still appearing on my credit report, which is a problem I presume as my debt is double what it should be. :smileyembarrassed:

So, when will the original loan age/update/otherwise go away? :smileyvery-happy:

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Re: Auto ReFi - When Will Original Loan Vanish?

[ Edited ]

The previous loan stays on your credit for up to ten years after it is paid and closed.  It actually helps you and should not be a problem and certainly shouldn't be reporting a balance.

How does the old tradeline read now that it is paid off?

It should read zero balance and either "paid as agreed" or some other notation.

It will continue to reflect your payment history.

Regular Contributor
DaylightSlaving

Hm, interesting.

Well, I can attest to the fact that Credit Karma is reflecting it as a balance. Credit Karma shows two loans with a total balance of them combined, so that's kind of a bummer. Though, I've heard CK isn't the most reputable game in town.

I was released from the old loan two months ago, and I'm kind of curious to see if it'll update itself (that'd be a little too convienent probably. Lol)

For a more accurate report pertaining to this topic, what would you suggest? Are there other options available aside from pulling a report? I'm considering calling up the knucklehead agency that I had the original loan through and seeing what their deal is.

Last App: 12/25/2013
TU: 743 (Discover) Ex: 718 (CS) Goal: 760+ Across All
Gardening Until 6/25/14+
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Have you already pulled your free credit reports from AnnualCreditReport.com?

Pulling your consumer reports doesn't negatively impact your score at all.

Regular Contributor
sdwalt

It took 2 months or so for it to show closed on my CR after I refinanced.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}