Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Refinance Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Refinance Question?

New to the board!

I need to know how to start.  I finance a auto loan though HSBC at 17.9%.  I have made 24 payment on time.   Purchased price $14,900 --  I owe $10800 and 48 payments.   I have not applied to any to see if they will refinance and have planned to wait we are about to purchase a home in the next two or three months.  Once that is closed and we are in our new home I want to refinance.  Just want to get all me info infront of me so I can get the best interest rate I can.   

My credit has impoved alot since my loan.   

My Fico scores are TU 649 EQ 611 EX 698 as of 2/12/09

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Auto Refinance Question?

I think you are smart waiting until after you get the house. I would join a credit union now, and put a small amount- lets say 50 a paycheck into the account- Create a good relationship with the CU and after you get everything settled with the house, try for a re-finance with the CU. One thing you might be able to do in the mean time is make bi-weekly payments(if HSBC allows it) If your auto loan is 400 a month - pay 200 every two weeks- you pay more towrds the prnciple and effectively reduce interest that way- you can also add a little bit to your loan payment each time. Good Luck. HSBC may not allow bi-weekly- I had them for awhile and I thinbk they wouldn't make a payment sooner that a week before the due date- taht way they maximize interest.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

I talked with my local credit union.  I am a member and got some good info from them.  They look at EQ to do the credit appoval.  I have a EQ 611 score. To get a 11% I need a 620 -- to get a 8% I need a 660.  

My other two scores are better TU 649 EX 698. 

I only have two open accounts and both were autos.  One I just paid last payment.  Can someone tell me what I can do to get me EQ to go up.  I would like to refiance this in about 5 or 6 months.  It would be great to get to 660 but that may not be a option.

Past history - BR - 6 years ago.  CC - Paid off but was CA- I settled and paid it over a year ago.

Message 3 of 7
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Are you getting the house? If yes- I would do nothing drastic until that is approved- If no- get a credit card and keep the utilization around 10%- after 6 months you should see a nice bump in your scores- the credit mix, and another good account should help you.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have ran my credit though a Broker and we were appoved for a FHA loan.  She did tell me not to do anything until we find a house and close.  So my plan is to get all of my info together so once the house closes I can start working to improve my EQ score.  I want the 620 but really would like to get the 660.

Question?  I noticed on EQ that I have a old account showing open.  This was from the gas company and is showing (Currently 120 late).  Account has $0 balance and the account has not been used since 2004 and I forgot it was even open.  Can I call them to get this corrected??  Is this not causing me a ding on my score.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is hurting your score. Probably more than you might think. You can try contacting the company but you may be better off filing with the credit bureau(Equifax).
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have a update.  I called the OC that was showing me 120 Days Late on my EQ report.  It showed a $0 balance and I was going to see if they would delete.  To my supprise they showed a balance .89.  This account was from 6 year ago.

Well a few phone calls and I finial got someone to call me back.  There going to remove this form my CR.  I was so happy I forgot to even ask how long it would take them to do this. 

I ran my numbers on 2/9.  My plan is to wait until March and run EQ again to see if it is cleared off.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.