Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan after bkrptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan after bkrptcy

We recently got dicharged from a Chapter 13 and are in need of a new vehicle.  We have two psb. trades,  2004 Expedition-owned and a 2010 Elantra financed outside of the bankruptcy(we owe about 7k).  We plan to use hubby's scores and income, about 56k scores are tu 680 eq 620 ex 630.  Credit utilization is at 30%.  We looking at a 2016 HR-V, the msrp  is 25k, but we hoping to get it for 22k. W expect some negative equity  (which we know is a no-no)both vehicles have mechanical issues that are too expensive to fix.  What would are chances of getting financed with Honda or any other lender be.  What advice would you recommend?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto loan after bkrptcy

It would be nice if you could find a lender that pulls TU. I don't have a lot of experience with different lenders. Hopefully someone here can help you.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chrysler Capital just approved me 2 months out of bankruptcy for 24,000. My credit score is 540ish. They are very bankruptcy friendly. Basically you have to choose from Jeep, Chrysler, dodge vehicles 

Message 3 of 6
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Many of us have found Capital One to be very bankruptcy friendly. My Ch 7 discharged June 2015. I had 4 new credit cards after, two with Cap One. I used their Auto Loan Navigator for a pre-qual in early March and they offered $17,000 and 3.8-11.8% depending on whether it was new or used and when you look on their authorized dealer list, it will probably include every make anywhere in your area. Because of my down payment, Hyundai Financial approved me at 4.9% and $21,000. The $4500 in rebates went towards my down payment along with my cash in hand so that helped.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is true that Cap1 is known to be more receptive to people who had past BK's. Many threads on here about that.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also looking to do the same when our Chapter 13 is discharged. We were recently notified by our attorney that it's almost over (3-4 months left) so, what I've done is gone to each dealership in person and have spoken with the finance manager at each one. My situation will be a bit different (I own my Lincoln outright and will also be putting down 8k on top of the trade) I found that Chrysler was quick to say "no problem, we've got you covered" but wouldn't disclose even an estimate of rate. Ford/Lincoln were the surprise heavy hitters (to me). They gave me an estimate of rates that was pretty excellent. Same with GMC and Chevy. It'll just depend on what you have to work with. If you can save up a little down payment or even more than 1k, it helps. I've got time now to make sure everything's lined up, credit reporting correctly after discharge and have the down ready. I'll choose a vehicle after I see the offers from both Chrysler and Ford Motor Credit. Wishing you the best of luck, it can be done!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.