Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan for a used car

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Auto loan for a used car

Im going to be applying for financing on a 2009 Acura tsx. 

The asking price is 18999 but its obviously not going to be that. 

i have 2000 down and my car trade in which isnt worth lots to people. 

1995 Acura Integra but with upgrades that can be included or taken out. 

My trans union score is 674 since last time i checked it. 

I dont have a co-signer. 

i have 4 store cards and 1 major credit card. 

with a total of 5300 store credit and 1800 used (only one card has a balance on it)

and a mastercard with 0 balance and 500 limit. 

ive had cards since 2010 with never a late or missed payment. 

i make 1760 net a month which is 1380 take home not including overtime which i get alot of. 

The only bills i pay are the card and insurance/cell phone

im really looking into this car but waiting to take the hit for the application. 

if they even have it which they most likely will i wont be able to look at the car for a week and a half. 

What are the chances that ill get approved with a payment less then 300 a month? since id like to keep insurance and note less then 600 together. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto loan for a used car

That's gonna be tough. If you are looking for strictly a low payment you should lease or look for a later model car or a different model of acura; possibly a 2008. You can find simple finance calculators at bankrate.com; they can give you a better idea.

You can also shop insurance and see if you can get a better quote for that. 300 per month for insurance seems very high
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

i looked into leasing a 2012 Honda accord. 

And the insurance was going to be 160 a month for state required financed insurance 

when i talked to the rep for liberty mutual he said that "full coverage" was a consumer lingo and he didn't really know what that meant. 

My mother currently leases a rav4 and he based the coverage off hers. 

this car has 70k miles hence why i say they will lower it. 

(mine currently has 175k)

i don't expect the insurance to be that high i think it was 219 a month but not sure because it got accidentally deleted from my mail box so i asked him to resend it. 

just a little info. 

im 21 

no student debt(school is paid for through grants and scholarships) (currently in my 3rd year of a bachelors for comp sci/business)

i have a clean record and according to the rep my insurance will drop in march for 6 years clean driving record 

i currently pay about 87 a month for insurance. 

p.s. i have not put in for the financing yet. 

Should I consider a credit union. 

I looked at one locally and said about 18.17 per thousand borrowed even if they want 17k i can handle the 300 a month payments. 

Also another thought if i just paid all my cards in full and have a zero balance for the 4800+500 will that improve my chances? and not have a down payment on a used car?   all these cars in my area (cape cod or western mass) all go for around the same list price. so ideally would be 17k for the finance? 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 3 of 12
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

You may have a hard time getting financed with 1760 gross. From what I have heard most banks require a minimum of $2000 gross monthly although there are a few who will go to $1800 gross monthly. Have you asked at the bank/credit union about thier income guidelines? They should be able to tell you that without pulling your credit.

Message 4 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

well looks like this tanked.  no way am i doing 409 payments a month not including insurance for a car that has 75k miles.. 

i said i would think about it but obviously not so much. 

he goes can you come up with a bigger down payment? 

and i asked him if he could come down on the price. his response was the usual. 

we are priced aggressively and we are almost a non negotiable dealership. 

i say bull because all dealers want a sell. 

try finding someone dumb enough to pay that for a car like that. 

and then he had the nerve to try to get me to finance for 72 months on a car with that many miles. no way. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 5 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That's not a bad price for a '09 TSX, in S. Cali it'd probably run 19-20k.  Most Acuras (and Hondas / Toyotas / Lexuses) have a different depreciation curve than many other vehicles, where it runs to about 4-5 years instead of the 3 that most suffer. Check the Carfax to see how long the dealer has had the car, if it's less than six months there won't be much negotiating room right now, though that may change when the 2013's are released a bit later this year.  That car will probably sell near it's listed price if it's a halfway decent color and if it has any sort of non-default options, think the 2009 is similar to the 2010 and the 2010 from personal experience is a pretty sweet car.

I'm not trying to be critical because I'm in a worse credit strata than you and I definitely like your style, but trying to get a prime-level approval (limited downpayment and rate requirements) with a non-prime score and limited income, just isn't realistic unfortunately.  

        
Message 6 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

since i dont want to start another thread. 

my scores have gone up recently due to paying down best buy and other things. 

my mother has now change her tune about co-signing since my car is on its last limb. 

should i try to finance myself. or do it with her as a co-signer. (for the added income as well)

i believe my scores are higher then hers. 

we just pulled her reports and found out she has 2 medical collections from 3 years ago that shes trying to get taken off now. 

she has 2 past leases with no derog a 2 year and her current 3 year which expires in november of this year. 

i have no loan history only my cc's. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Myself  joyley

You have a Mastercard with  balance 0 but limit is 500. So your credit score is low or poor.So it is difficult for you. So you look different car model in your budget but if it’s your dream so you can improve your credit 

http://know-about-bad-credit-car-loan.tumblr.com/

Message 8 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Yes and no joley. My scores are in my signature. The reason why I have low limit is because I just got that card and my income is not super high.
Also have a chase freedom that has a 500 limit
My best buy card has 2500 limit and after a recent cli my Macy's has 3500.

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking to buy truck used for around $12.000. Want to keep payments around $250.00

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.