Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan for work car ( promotion) how to maximize to get that home 🏡

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan for work car ( promotion) how to maximize to get that home 🏡

So I was offered a very extraordnary offer for work a company vehicle that will be reimbursed to me , the catch is I have to use my credit . So as in my previous post I purchased my first car a month and a half ago . Now i would have to purchase a second just for work . If I was to pay the loan off( of my current vehicle ) In 6 months would this help me get approved for a loan ( Lower interest rate / Higher? (if)I were to purchase a second car ? Valued @ 20k , or should I wait a certain amount of time that would maximize the credit increase ? Or is there a minimum time ? As my job will have me purchase a second car ( remibursed ) and I don’t want it to affect my future house or could it help? If coordinated properly ?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto loan for work car ( promotion) how to maximize to get that home 🏡

Wow that is a great offer! My mom actually had the same offer many years ago and she bought a loaded SUV with a $500/month payment (that was a lot in 2001)...a few months later the company closed up shop and she was stuck with the payment. Not saying that will happen to you, just a cautionary tale to be sure that you are able to make the payments on your own just in case. 

As far as your questions...you have not given us enough information to provide you with any solid advice. You currently have a car payment for your current car, correct? What is the remaining balance? What are the monthly payments?

What is your credit score? What is your annual salary? How much debt to you carry (student loans, credit card debt etc)? These might seem like personal questions but it will help in answering your questions. Many, many, many people have two or even three car loans. Those individuals usually have excellent credit and/or a high salary (and/or a low credit to debt ratio). 

If you make a decent salary and are able to meet all of your credit obligations, and you have a good FICO score with no recent baddies, then you should have no trouble obtaining a second car loan while you still have an active loan with a balance. Think of it this way, people trade in cars with balances owed everyday and the banks issue a new loan for the new car without the old car being paid off as a condition of being approved for the new loan. 

As far as paying off your current loan first and it helping your credit...I do not think paying off that loan first will really make a difference in your score for obtaining the new loan. In fact, it is good to have a mix of credit which involves installment loans.

The only issue I could see is if you have a lot of debt with a smaller salary; a bank or CU might see that as a reason to not issue you a second car loan. But you will have to provide us with more info. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply I put down $7700 on my last car plus the Nissan bonus cash ( $1000) $8000 total my current payments are $225.66 for 72mo ,
Current Salary is 55k plus commission up to 5k a year
The current debt I have is only on the car that I owe $11110 .
My Current FICO is 755 across the board
Looking to get a car that is no more that $20k with payments similar to what I’m currently paying ( I can put up a large down if applicable )  (if something happens ) . Thank you for being honest . I do work for a major company that I can not disclose . The pay I make is stable there are many departments here so even if things don’t go as planned I’m very flexible to transferring to a department that I’m proven to be amazing 😉  .

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely be careful of these deals!

A friend of mine got a "free car" for making sales with some MLM like Avon or Mary Kay and one quarter she missed her volume by a few hundred dollars and was kicked out of payment reimbursement for 6 months! Her $550 a month credit disappeared over a few hundred dollar shortfall.

Check the terms of the reimbursement. Sometimes you don't get insurance reimbursement and the "free car" ends up costing you a lot.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply I put down $7700 on my last car plus the Nissan bonus cash ( $1000) $8000 total my current payments are $225.66 for 72mo ,
Current Salary is 55k plus commission up to 5k a year
The current debt I have is only on the car that I owe $11110 .
My Current FICO is 755 across the board
Looking to get a car that is no more that $20k with payments similar to what I’m currently paying ( I can put up a large down if applicable )  (if something happens ) . Thank you for being honest . I do work for a major company that I can not disclose . The pay I make is stable there are many departments here so even if things don’t go as planned I’m very flexible to transferring to a department that I’m proven to be amazing 😉  .

It sounds like you shouldn't have any problem being approved for a second car loan. If you do have a large amount down, it would actually make sense to use those funds to pay down the current car first so that you are left with very little on that loan rather than two larger loans at the same time. I would also recommend not going over 60 months for the new car (unless you get 0% for 72 months). 

Whatever you decide, please let us know what you bought! I have not had a new car in 13 years and I have to live vicariously through all of you LOL

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys so much now ! If I pay off in full in 6 months will it hurt my fico ?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys so much now ! If I pay off in full in 6 months will it hurt my fico ?

It would hurt your FICO score if that is your only installment loan.  If you have others then it won’t have an effect except possibly raise them.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever you do, just stay under LTV so that if the job falls through you're not stuck with a car note that you have to spend your own $$ to get out of.

I would ask for some sort of concession from the employer on the down payment for this reason. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also remember that any reimbursement they give you is taxable.  That may be offset by writing off your payment as a business expense but definitely something that you should consult an accountant about.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you SteelerNYC & Irish80 these are things I had not configured for I will consult an accountant and check my Ltv / possiable go over the numbers ( to continue build my net without affecting my savings , going to inquery about a down from the job today) thank you thank you for the reply’s ! as my intentions originally were to raise my fico for a 🏡 which have gone up 126 points in the past 2 years . You guys / Gals are the best way better than family ! I just had my Capitol one card inquery drop off today( this just washed my previous loan inquery for the Nissan dealer 5 points raised !! whoot 🎊🎉🎆

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.