Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan inquiries question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan inquiries question

I've heard that multiple auto loan inquiries within a 30 day period will count as one inquiry. How does this work, exactly? Will one of my inquiries go away suddenly? If so, how long does it typically take to disappear?

I applied for an auto loan with a local credit union in late December but didn't become a member or accept the loan. About 28 days after that, I then applied for an auto loan with my bank and was approved. That very weekend, I bought the car with that loan. Since they were within 30 days of each other, these two EX inquiries should count as one, right?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto loan inquiries question

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard that multiple auto loan inquiries within a 30 day period will count as one inquiry. How does this work, exactly? Will one of my inquiries go away suddenly? If so, how long does it typically take to disappear?

I applied for an auto loan with a local credit union in late December but didn't become a member or accept the loan. About 28 days after that, I then applied for an auto loan with my bank and was approved. That very weekend, I bought the car with that loan. Since they were within 30 days of each other, these two EX inquiries should count as one, right?

The inquiries don't go away or disappear.  Any auto loan related inquiry within a 2 week period count as 1 for the purposes of FICO scoring only.  Nonetheless they stay on your reports for the full two years and other potential creditors can see them.

Message 2 of 4
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The inquiries don't go away or disappear.  Any auto loan related inquiry within a 2 week period count as 1 for the purposes of FICO scoring only.  Nonetheless they stay on your reports for the full two years and other potential creditors can see them.

Yep.... I received a "too many INQs" denial as part of the 15 or so INQs I took as part of my car shopping last month... kinda funny when you think about it because I gardened for the first 360 days of 2014 prior to a 6 application CC app spree on 12/26 but it is what it is.

Still only lost 1 point off EQ and none off TU and EX and I took 4-5 INQs for each bureau between 1/16 and 1/21.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep.... I received a "too many INQs" denial as part of the 15 or so INQs I took as part of my car shopping last month... kinda funny when you think about it because I gardened for the first 360 days of 2014 prior to a 6 application CC app spree on 12/26 but it is what it is.

Still only lost 1 point off EQ and none off TU and EX and I took 4-5 INQs for each bureau between 1/16 and 1/21.

@ OP & TRC_WA

While your score doesn't go down, the inq count still goes up. As TRC has already experienced, you can still be declined for 'too many inqs'. Its usually a systematic decline that I imagine will auto decline over X amount of inqs for X score range. The way to get around this is to call and ask for a reconsideration or manual review. The lender will usually override this decline if it was the only reason and everything else looked good on the application (income, DTI, utilization, ect).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.