Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan rates going up?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Auto loan rates going up?

how soon will auto loan rates begin to rise now that mortgage rates have begun to climb?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto loan rates going up?

@laz98 wrote:

how soon will auto loan rates begin to rise now that mortgage rates have begun to climb?

Monday.

Message 2 of 12
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO autoloan rates are lessvolatile than mortgage rates so I would not expect to see too much change.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

IMHO autoloan rates are lessvolatile than mortgage rates so I would not expect to see too much change.

I agree.

I mean we are not talking a 15 point variance, it would make cars too expensive. Then no one is buying and banks start losing the ability to lend.

What people forget is that money/loans/interest is essentialy a commodity. interest rates change daily.

I have been a member of banks that post daily rates, others that post weekly.

Invariably when you see a bank/institution post/say  "Rates as low as" 3.99% the number/factors that determine who qualifies for that rate or the next tiers change daily.

On Monday you could apply and get 3.99% on Tuesday had you applied you might get 4.23% The 3.99 still "exists" just who gets it and who gets higher changes. (until the institution finally decides to change out to rates as low as X.XX%)

Will you see 0% or .9% go away? 

Probably not as those rate are artificial or "subvented" and are marketing rates to get people to buy. You might see the term change or score change for who qualifies.

Banks send dealerships their "current" rate sheets via email or fax weekly or monthly- those are good rule of thumb tools but there is nothing stopping a bank from changing rates for tiers at any time.

Could the change mean that today you could get a 5.99% but in December you might suddenly get 6.25%- possibly, but remember on $20,000 over 5 years the interest rate varience of 1% is less than $10.00 on your payment.

ETA:

And remember if car loans suddenly jump to 11%, with the internet and the ability to shop around there will be strong competitive forces in play.   Back in 1970 it was unheard of to ask a bank 5 states away  if they would fund you, so I think you may see an increase, but market forces will limit that.

Message 4 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

thanks for your input guys!  yeah, i know they fluctuate regularly, but i was meaning more in the long term, a steady climb in rates.  but now i'm less worried.  just wanted to make sure that we would still be able to get our car at a great rate, since inflation is going to start ruining everything soon Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No offense but you have been talking about a new vehicle for some time, what is your agenda?

And did you google Ford Partners to see if either of your employers qualified for x plan?

Message 6 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No offense but you have been talking about a new vehicle for some time, what is your agenda?

And did you google Ford Partners to see if either of your employers qualified for x plan?

i don't think it's been long at all.  buying a car is a big decision for us.  neither one of us has any experience buying a car, so we are having to learn everything from scratch, so to speak.  i understand you work in the business, & so it doesn't seem like rocket science to you, but for us, it's all new.

i read about the x plan, we don't qualify.  no big deal.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

i read about the x plan, we don't qualify.  no big deal.

How so? prenegotiated price no haggling full rebates?

You would be surprised what employers are Partners and generate X plan.

And also who on certain forums can generate them.......

Message 8 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

i'm unemployed, & my gf works for her parents.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

i'm unemployed, & my gf works for her parents.

Well..... not to beat a dead horse, but Christmas is coming, and BEST BUY, WAL MART and a HOST of others are all members- a part time job for the holidays to get you the X plan....

http://bigval.addr.com/commercial/x_plan.htm

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.