cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan what am I missing, people with lower scores, lower income, lower down payment approved

tag
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Auto loan what am I missing, people with lower scores, lower income, lower down payment approved

Just applied for Capital One and was given a message:   We’ve received your Capital One Auto Finance loan application. We are currently reviewing your information and we will email or call you within three business days to provide you with a status update.  We apologize for the delay and are committed to providing you with a hassle-free loan experience. Thank you for considering us for your auto loan needs!    then 3 minutes  later: Thank you for applying for a Capital One Auto Finance® loan. After reviewing your information, we are unable to approve your application at this time. We will mail you a letter within 7-10 business days that explains the reason for our decision.  Please note: This is the most recent information available to our associates. For your privacy, phone representatives do not have access to decline reasons.  Also applied for USAA auto loan, Was denied. So besides putting two recent inquiries on my report for nothing what am I doing wrong   Annual Income:$120,000-$150,000 No Mortgage, only student loans recently consolidated through Willam D Ford. No credit Card Debt (although $453 was posted, I pay my balance monthly carry nothing over to the next month)

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Auto loan what am I missing, people with lower scores, lower income, lower down payment approved

Based on your other recent posts, I would say considering you are carrying half a million in "defaulted" loans might give a bank cause to think twice on an auto loan. Just because you refi'd your loans does not erase the 28 defaults for immediate approval of new loans - give it some time. You also stated that you have 3 small CL credit cards, give them some time to establish a history of usage and payments.

Considering your stated income, I'd say you should be well on your way in a year or so, even if you need to establish a $5000 CL secured card for a year of history. I'd also suggest you offer to put 50% down on a car loan and I think you'll find banks will approve you with real skin in the game. Again, considering your stated income, you should have a fairly easy time getting better credit, but it won't be "instant".

>> $500,000 in student loans, 28 defaulted, Willam D Ford Consolidation, horrible credit, rebuilding my life after 12 years in school. <<

Message 2 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Auto loan what am I missing, people with lower scores, lower income, lower down payment approved

@pipeguy wrote:

Based on your other recent posts, I would say considering you are carrying half a million in "defaulted" loans might give a bank cause to think twice on an auto loan. Just because you refi'd your loans does not erase the 28 defaults for immediate approval of new loans - give it some time. You also stated that you have 3 small CL credit cards, give them some time to establish a history of usage and payments.

Considering your stated income, I'd say you should be well on your way in a year or so, even if you need to establish a $5000 CL secured card for a year of history. I'd also suggest you offer to put 50% down on a car loan and I think you'll find banks will approve you with real skin in the game. Again, considering your stated income, you should have a fairly easy time getting better credit, but it won't be "instant".

>> $500,000 in student loans, 28 defaulted, Willam D Ford Consolidation, horrible credit, rebuilding my life after 12 years in school. <<

+1.    Another thing to remember is that FICO doesn't take the relative amount of your debt into consideration when scoring.    So someone with $5,000 in debt may score similar or even worse than someone with $500,000 in debt.    Creditors however will most certainly look at this when making lending decisions, and large amounts of outstanding debt will make them very nervous.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 12
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the reply. My William D Ford payments have been made monthly, None of my loans are currently defaulted, all show zero balance and my FICO report is reading Debt in the green category , and payment history red , length of history green, amount of new credit (Willam D Ford) red. But if that's still debt to income ratio, I think I understand ($500,000 is still $500,000) But if I can't trust my FICO score then what do I trust? When I run FICO simulator it says to pay down credit card debt, which I do monthly. Right now it's $46 on 1 card becaused I use it to fill up my gas tank Friday. It says my score jumps to 706 by paying off my CC debt Still not sure when I should try to request auto loan again. I think I may try the USAA CD secured loan for mix if credit, maybe the $5000 limit like you suggest. My Capital One Limits have been going up, so that's a positive. So if I am correct. New credit (cards and William D Ford=bad) Payments, time and keeping my cards under <9% is a must? So is it better to put down %50 on a new car or buy it outright? Ultimate goal is to stop paying rent and get a mortgage. I was trying to use a car purchase as positive credit and thought I could pay a car loan off in two years

Message 4 of 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Student_Loans_Kill wrote:
Thank you for the reply. My William D Ford payments have been made monthly, None of my loans are currently defaulted, all show zero balance and my FICO report is reading Debt in the green category , and payment history red , length of history green, amount of new credit (Willam D Ford) red. But if that's still debt to income ratio, I think I understand ($500,000 is still $500,000) But if I can't trust my FICO score then what do I trust? When I run FICO simulator it says to pay down credit card debt, which I do monthly. Right now it's $46 on 1 card because I use it to fill up my gas tank Friday. It says my score jumps to 706 by paying off my CC debt Still not sure when I should try to request auto loan again. I think I may try the USAA CD secured loan for mix if credit, maybe the $5000 limit like you suggest. My Capital One Limits have been going up, so that's a positive. So if I am correct. New credit (cards and William D Ford=bad) Payments, time and keeping my cards under <9% is a must? So is it better to put down %50 on a new car or buy it outright? Ultimate goal is to stop paying rent and get a mortgage. I was trying to use a car purchase as positive credit and thought I could pay a car loan off in two years.

The red/green/yellow graphic is a general idea, but I'd have to see your actual account by account Credit report to see how many accounts are listed as defaulted (I don't actually want to see your actual report, but you listed 28 defaulted Student loans).

Think a minimum of 1 year positive credit history before doors start to open, two years is better. As far as the car, if you are interested in establishing a mix of credit, you are better off taking a loan. That being said, if you are able to pay cash use that leverage to your benefit and put 30%, 40%, 50% down to "get the loan" or even make it a double secured loan, meaning the title and say a CD on deposit. The idea is to be creative with your banker and keep your eye on the goal of established credit, not instant gratification. The same thing is true for a mortgage, put 30-40% down and its almost automatic approval.

Case in point, 12 years or so ago I was looking at a "second home" that being a new 2BR/2BH condo at the beach (not for rental, just for our use and investment). The price was not bad at $85k but the bank was not comfortable with the mortgage because they were sure it was going to be a rental (it never was), so I offered to put 50% down and take a mortgage for $45k - bingo ! Instant approval. I paid the mortgage off in 3 years and sold it after 6 years for $135k.

You have to look at your credit through the banker's eyes. Lots of debt, little credit history, good income, little real life employment (earning) history. It has nothing to do with your best intentions, it's what have you done lately (2 years) and your answer is really "nothing much yet".

Message 5 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Student_Loans_Kill wrote:
Thank you for the reply. My William D Ford payments have been made monthly, None of my loans are currently defaulted, all show zero balance and my FICO report is reading Debt in the green category , and payment history red , length of history green, amount of new credit (Willam D Ford) red. But if that's still debt to income ratio, I think I understand ($500,000 is still $500,000) But if I can't trust my FICO score then what do I trust? When I run FICO simulator it says to pay down credit card debt, which I do monthly. Right now it's $46 on 1 card becaused I use it to fill up my gas tank Friday. It says my score jumps to 706 by paying off my CC debt Still not sure when I should try to request auto loan again. I think I may try the USAA CD secured loan for mix if credit, maybe the $5000 limit like you suggest. My Capital One Limits have been going up, so that's a positive. So if I am correct. New credit (cards and William D Ford=bad) Payments, time and keeping my cards under <9% is a must? So is it better to put down %50 on a new car or buy it outright? Ultimate goal is to stop paying rent and get a mortgage. I was trying to use a car purchase as positive credit and thought I could pay a car loan off in two years

Definitely use the car loan as a positive tradeline to build your credit score.  50% down = guarunteed approval, heck, even 30% down pretty much is.

Secured CD loan: while I'm using this myself through USAA, from a scoring perspective there's no real need to do it for more than the minimum 2500.  Installment debt isn't factored the same way, and you're looking for 1) payment history, and 2) mix of credit like you suggest.

An auto loan is pretty much the easiest possible loan to get since it's secured against the vehicle.  If you can put down a solid downpayment (I put down 12k on a 31k OTD car), regardless of what your credit score / history says, you can absolutely get through manual review... just explain the situation, that yes, the debt listed is substantial, but you're on a payment plan, and that'll be it.  You'll probably get a call just for the underwriters amusement factor which is the perfect opportunity to present your case favorably (much like I did with my IRS problem).

You'll be fine in the long run, but the credit score simulators are all over the map.  Just keep paying everything on time, keeping your revolving (credit card) utilization low as you've already read here, and your score will go up with time... then once the derogatories are either gone or aged off, you'll be in fantastic shape.  MIninmum FHA mortgage score is only a 640 anyway, if that's a real FICO in your signature, you'lll be fine.

        
Message 6 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Oh further note: make sure you get a simple interest loan on the car.

Here's an interesting tidbit I found since I'm throwing my available free cash at my auto loan (at similar income to yours), don't request that extra payments go directly to principal, see if they can go against your next payment (quite often they do by default, check the loan agreement) to continually push the next due date further into the future.  Just do that continually over the course of the loan till your payment date is basically the last one (somewhere 3ish years out from what you wrote) and let it idle for positive tradeline history with the interest accruing on some laughably small principal.

Stupid FICO tricks Smiley Wink

        
Message 7 of 12
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

For those who may have been in my position before and think there is no way out of this mess.  I think I had a 500 FICO score last year. I had 28 bad marks from student loans, no credit and was getting stressed about life.  I hired a lawyer after I finished my residency training and started to slowly attack this thing head on.... I got the USAA secured credit card American Express this summer. I was declined for the Wellsfargo one so if you are in my position, apply USAA.  I charged it up payed it off monthly sometimes bi monthly. I took the Capital one offeres when they came. First one was the platinum card for $300 unsecured. Same strategy charge and pay. They offered me a second card ( no credit increase yet on the first Capital one card. I think it requires 5 months of payments) a cash rewards card for $1000. I took this offer and have not used card yet. 

It seems like I had all this worry for no reason. It seems I double applied and they rejected my second application for obvious reasons... I got this today:

Dear FORMER BAD CREDIT PERSONSmiley Wink

Congratulations! We’ve approved your Capital One Auto Finance loan application. For your convenience you can view the terms and requirements of your loan offer any time by logging into Your Account

Your no obligation Blank Check® loan package should arrive in 3-5 business days, unless you selected FedEx Overnight delivery during the application process. If you selected FedEx delivery, you will receive a separate email with your tracking information. 

What’s next? 
Fax required documents
Account or review 
check package
Find a select dealership
Visit the online dealer 
locator

Verify shopping guidelines
Make sure your
car meets the
requirements below

Message 8 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

So you are approved after all ?? That's great news, congrats !!
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Oh further note: make sure you get a simple interest loan on the car.

Here's an interesting tidbit I found since I'm throwing my available free cash at my auto loan (at similar income to yours), don't request that extra payments go directly to principal, see if they can go against your next payment (quite often they do by default, check the loan agreement) to continually push the next due date further into the future.  Just do that continually over the course of the loan till your payment date is basically the last one (somewhere 3ish years out from what you wrote) and let it idle for positive tradeline history with the interest accruing on some laughably small principal.

Stupid FICO tricks Smiley Wink

Are you sure about this?  When you advance the payment, aren't you paying just as if you were making the next payment, and therefore paying the same amount of interest.  If you don't pay down the principal, then the interest is still calculated against that amount.  I thought that was why some lenders set it up to where your payment would advance by default, so they would get more in interest.  I could be wrong.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.