cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan what to do? Chances of Approval?

tag
Insaniak
Established Member

Re: Auto loan what to do? Chances of Approval?

Thank you, Ill give DCU a shot first. I have zero rent because I live with my GF she pays the rent. My car payment now is 434 at 9% and im doing just fine ive had the car over a year now.

Message 21 of 27
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Insaniak wrote:

Thank you, Ill give DCU a shot first. I have zero rent because I live with my GF she pays the rent. My car payment now is 434 at 9% and im doing just fine ive had the car over a year now.

Hopefully this won't happen to you but have you thought about what would happen if you break up? If your GF loses her job and needs your help? Something like living expenses should be addressed in considering debt unless you own your property free and clear. 
Seven years is a long time to assume your rent will be paid. I would suggest factoring the possibility of rent into the equation. 
Message 22 of 27
Insaniak
Established Member

I agree and see where your coming from payment would be about the same as I have now. OR I could refi current car and prob drop payment by about $75 think that is the better route?
Message 23 of 27
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Insaniak wrote:
I agree and see where your coming from payment would be about the same as I have now. OR I could refi current car and prob drop payment by about $75 think that is the better route?

Instead of refinancing right now, why don't you put together a plan to pay off your debt (the car) and reduce utilization on your cards and increase your savings. This way you will be in a better position to buy a vehicle because many of your inqs will have aged off and you can show positive equity in the current vehicle + savings. Look up snowball method on DaveRamsey.com  

Even though you don't pay rent, the lender is going to impute a rent for you because no one lives rent free forever.

Message 24 of 27
Insaniak
Established Member

I mean I don't really owe much I have 1 card with $200 and another with $300 then my car at 23900, $434 my CU is 16%. I do have savings with about 5k in it I'm leaving that alone.
Message 25 of 27
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I disagree with the don't refi thing. Don't listen to Ramsey haha...I think the guys a nut. Sure 1% of his advice is good, but imo, 99% is bad. Anyways I don't want to start an argument.

IMO do try to refi with DCU or someone. Because it'll lower your APR. If you were going to pay it down, that's fine. The lower interest helps you even more. So I think you should refi the old loan and work on paying it down if you don't buy a new car.

If you are refi'ing, you will have to come up with the difference between NADA Retail and amount you currently owe, if you owe more than NADA retail. Well worth it to go from 16% to probably <5% with your 700+ FICO.

Message 26 of 27
Insaniak
Established Member

I have a very thin file would that matter?
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.