Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Auto loan

is it not better to let it show steady payments on time every month? i really have no payment history for this reason, i always pay cash for everything.

Message 11 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Bblack31 wrote:

If you have the money then just pay it off.  Save the interest that you would pay.  It will still be on your credit report for 10 years or so.

I think this is a good idea ~ I'm assuming that you'd still have several hundred dollars of interest left to pay, so you could save some money by paying it off.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes i could save a few hunderd, but for me to build on my payment history is this not better to pay the extra 200 and help my credit history out?

Message 13 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

yes i could save a few hunderd, but for me to build on my payment history is this not better to pay the extra 200 and help my credit history out?

Personally I'd rather have money in the bank, but it's your call.   You've already got over 1 year of payment history so that's pretty good IMO.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 17
Bblack31
Established Member

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally I'd rather have money in the bank, but it's your call.   You've already got over 1 year of payment history so that's pretty good IMO.

Agreed, 1 year and that fact that it will still be on your report is worth paying it off and saving the interest. 

My Scores from myFICO(4/18/14)Ex: 819(5/22/14)EQ 828(5/22/14)TU 793
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been paying on this loan for 12 months this month, other than that my credit history has nothing. thats why i was wondering about letting it pay out.

Message 16 of 17
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

You can get much cheaper rates with a secured installment loan.  Check with your CU to see if they offer them.  If not look at SDFCU, etc for around 2 - 3.5%.   Basically, you give them $500 dollars for collateral.  They then give you a $500 loan.  For the next 4 years you have auto pay setup to take care of the loan.

With the money you save, you can get a secured credit card (e.g. BoA).  You will need to use the CC or at least find a small bill you can put on the card each month.  Just PIF each month.  In a year, they will unsecure the CC and let you have your money back.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.