Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loan

last year in June of 2013 I applied for a auto loan, the truck was 21,200 and I had 8k down, the intrest rate is 16.5, after a few months of making payments I went in and paid 7k more down on the prinicple and have been making monthly payments on time, the rest of the money is in the savings account comming out with auto pay. Just wondering did I mess up by paying the loan down? There is no penalty for paying off early. I just didnt want to be paying all that intrest from the loan.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Auto loan

@Anonymous wrote:

last year in June of 2013 I applied for a auto loan, the truck was 21,200 and I had 8k down, the intrest rate is 16.5, after a few months of making payments I went in and paid 7k more down on the prinicple and have been making monthly payments on time, the rest of the money is in the savings account comming out with auto pay. Just wondering did I mess up by paying the loan down? There is no penalty for paying off early. I just didnt want to be paying all that intrest from the loan.

Paying down the principle was a good move on your part since the interest rate on your loan is so high.   Depending on how much interest you still have to pay, it may be a good idea to refinance to a better rate now.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

they said to refinance i would have to raise the loan by 3k. i guess i will continue to let the payments come out of the savings account until its payed off.

Message 3 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

they said to refinance i would have to raise the loan by 3k. i guess i will continue to let the payments come out of the savings account until its payed off.

I'm not sure that I understand ~ are you saying that you're 3K underwater on your loan right now?

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

no, sorry, to refinance me they would have to loan me 3k more. i didnt really understand that so i said, no thanks.

Message 5 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

no, sorry, to refinance me they would have to loan me 3k more. i didnt really understand that so i said, no thanks.

Who did you ask about the refi, is it the company that's currently financing the loan?    Have you looked into other banks or CUs to refinance?

What were the terms of your loan?

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

the loan is thru the credit union in my city, i asked they guy at the desk who setup my auto pay. maybe I didnt ask the right person, I dont know what you mean by terms of the loan. sorry still learning all this stuff.

Message 7 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

the loan is thru the credit union in my city, i asked they guy at the desk who setup my auto pay. maybe I didnt ask the right person, I dont know what you mean by terms of the loan. sorry still learning all this stuff.

I was asking the interest rate, number of months, amount financed, and if the loan was some type of  non~standard loan.    You should talk with a loan officer at the CU, they can tell you if it's feasible.   However many banks / CUs won't refi their own loans.

Assuming that it's a typical auto loan, and that value of the car exceeds the amount you currently owe, then you'd should be able to refinance to a better interest rate.   You should try shopping around.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

as far as i know it is 16.5% intrest rate and a 4 year loan. but like i said its almost paid off now about 3k more to go and all the money to pay it off is comming out of a savings account i have setup at the CU.

Message 9 of 17
Bblack31
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

as far as i know it is 16.5% intrest rate and a 4 year loan. but like i said its almost paid off now about 3k more to go and all the money to pay it off is comming out of a savings account i have setup at the CU.

If you have the money then just pay it off.  Save the interest that you would pay.  It will still be on your credit report for 10 years or so.

My Scores from myFICO(4/18/14)Ex: 819(5/22/14)EQ 828(5/22/14)TU 793
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.