tag
Cellice
Regular Contributor

Re: Auto refinance questions

@jim44 wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:
Here's my advice:

Step 1: Refinance now to start saving right away

Step 2: Work on improving your credit so you can refinance again in six months with the goal being 5% or below at that point

@Anonymous 3: Start looking for a new job at a dealership where they don't let their 19 yr old coworkers buy $18000 cars @ 21% apr then upsell them on the maintenance packages.

Good advice on step 1 and 2.  Isn't the purpose of this forum to provide credit and financial advice to others based on our credit experiences and not to give employment advice by questioning the OPs working environment.

Part of giving the credit and financial advice is to help people not get taken advantage of. A lot of the bad stories on these forums happen because people were taken advantage of by other greedy people.

Message 21 of 26
jim44
Established Contributor

@Cellice wrote:

@jim44 wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:
Here's my advice:

Step 1: Refinance now to start saving right away

Step 2: Work on improving your credit so you can refinance again in six months with the goal being 5% or below at that point

@Anonymous 3: Start looking for a new job at a dealership where they don't let their 19 yr old coworkers buy $18000 cars @ 21% apr then upsell them on the maintenance packages.

Good advice on step 1 and 2.  Isn't the purpose of this forum to provide credit and financial advice to others based on our credit experiences and not to give employment advice by questioning the OPs working environment.

Part of giving the credit and financial advice is to help people not get taken advantage of. A lot of the bad stories on these forums happen because people were taken advantage of by other greedy people.

Granted, however how is making a negative generalized statement about auto dealerships helping the OP in this case?    I recall reading posts about car salesman in general taking advantage of forum members?  Should we assume the OP does this to his customers?  I don't recall the OP asking for employment advice.

Message 22 of 26
Chris679
Established Contributor

It's an internet forum, sometimes you get more than you were asking for and as long as we are respectful we are allowed to express our opinion.

I wouldn't let anyone I know take out a loan for a new car at 21% apr and dealerships know better than anyone that new car buyers almost never keep the vehicle long enough to make the add ons worth the cost. Plus if you can get $250 a month for a new car why wouldn't you keep buying new cars every 5 years?
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

He's right on the whole being taken advantage of though, I got the car and the loan within my first ~month of being in the business. I needed one pretty badly and I thought everyone was doing me favors. There are some guys in the business that couldn't give 2 craps whatsoever about you, but there's also some good guys. Being in the business, if someone wants that new car and all we can get is a 21% apr and the customer agrees I mean there's nothing we can do and I accept that I was foolish and did that.

But anyways, my huge concern is being denied because of the already much lower value of the car. I owe 18,700 on it and the retail value books out between the 12-14k range.

Message 24 of 26
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

He's right on the whole being taken advantage of though, I got the car and the loan within my first ~month of being in the business. I needed one pretty badly and I thought everyone was doing me favors. There are some guys in the business that couldn't give 2 craps whatsoever about you, but there's also some good guys. Being in the business, if someone wants that new car and all we can get is a 21% apr and the customer agrees I mean there's nothing we can do and I accept that I was foolish and did that.

But anyways, my huge concern is being denied because of the already much lower value of the car. I owe 18,700 on it and the retail value books out between the 12-14k range.

R- If you're friends with your F&I person and you trust their advice, talk to them about refi. I know he/she can't refi you but they should be able to give you parameters about what a lender looks at and what is more favorable in a CR to receive a lower APR.  They might also be able to tell you if you need a down payment for refi and how much, given you owe more than your car's present value. 

Personally I feel bad that you feel you were taken advantage of.  We work with a ton of subprime customers and always give them the consequences of high APRs, the cost of GAP and extended warranties.... however in the end it's up to the customer just like you've said. Hope your refi goes well and that you can get a reduced APR.  You have experience now that you can relay to your future customers. 

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my advice is to have your loan refinanced through a credit union. Joining a credit union and building a relationship opens up many credit opportunities. Your new credit score should get you a 7% or lower interest rate. PLEASE HURRY and RUN AWAY from SANTANDER. They are the worst financial institute ever. No loyalty to their customers. 

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.