Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Credit Car Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad Credit Car Loan

I'm hoping in the next upcoming months to purchase a "new" vehicle, either a 2013-16 Honda Civic or 2014-16 Mazda3. The ones around me are priced at 12-14K and my limit is 14K and I can put down 3-5K.

Now my credit.

I have 8 installment loans, totally to a little less than 25K which are student loans.

I have one CO w/ Capital One with a balance of $1,227.

I have an account in collections with a balance of $2,800.

I received acquired two secured cards this past August, one with Discover and Citi, which adds up to a limit to $400. My credit has been slowly rising (TU 635, Equifax 640).

My income is 28K per year, but I am to begin job hunting as I've recently obtained a credential that makes my resume more attractive.

The only reason I'm even looking for a "new" vehicle is because I don't know how much longer my current car has. I have an '08 Civic with a cracked engine block and other issues are rising (a weird propellor noise in my engine & the AC has gone out although not a huge issue). Can I even expect to be approved for an auto loan? How terrible will my interest rate be?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Bad Credit Car Loan

Even if the rates are bad, you could always refi once you can work on your scores.  I would also check a local CU and if see if they could help.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

3-5K can get you a pretty reliable beater, the last thing you need is a car note.

Message 3 of 8
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Check Cap One prequal Navigator.

It will give you a range of interst rates.

The better your car deal, the better your rate within that range.

I got 2.49% for 72 months with no money down with scores under 700.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 8
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3-5K can get you a pretty reliable beater, the last thing you need is a car note.

+1

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

^^^^ this all day long

you might even find a pretty NICE car for this kind of money

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you getting your credit scores from?  Website?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

You can find PLENTY of nice cars in that range....plenty

Back in the day (I'm oldSmiley Tongue) the definition of a 'beater' might be different from,

what the youth think of today....when I think beater I'm thinking a $1500 or less car that's running,

possibly UGLY but running

In today's world you can ABSOLUTELY find, very decent 'commuter' vehicles ALL DAY long, especially with

all the websites, etc

Put in a max price of 5k in a site like cargu or truecar and dozens of options pop up that I'd have ZERO problem

driving vs a high car note to further choke to crap out of one's finances....

Back in the dark ages of 1985, when I got my 1st car...a 1978 Buick Regal (loved that car, anyway...) note Buicks and Caddies were

'upgrade' models of the day, back then a 7 year old car at BEST would be considered a commuter, with dents and damage, a beater

mine was 'nice' and the cost $1500

30 years later in 2015 my daughter got her 1st ride a 2002 Kia Optima (really cute dark blue sedan) a 13 year old non 'upgrade' model the cost $1500!

My point being at double-triple that cost...3-5 grand...in today's world one can purchase a decent to look at and relatively reliable car NO DOUBT....especially when one considers that by committing to 'just driving' it for say 20-30 months could change a person's financial life for YEARS...

Think of what could be done with the savings between a $550 note vs a $150 note over 15 payments, a little over a year that's $6,000!

Say NO

To high cost, high % auto loans, period!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.