Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beating a dealer at his own game

tag
1fstgixer
Valued Member

Re: Beating a dealer at his own game

3.84 for 72 with those scores is fantastic through dealer financing, and really it is ok to waste a commission sales persons time on the weekend when they have real people to help that actually are in the market to buy a car....at least you had a time on the weekend, most sales persons in the car business usually spend every weekend at the dealership.....usually that is when they have the most opportunity to make a living. 

Have to understand, everyone employed at a dealership is just like you and me and every other working person, just trying to make a living...

Idk why you would say you beat the dealer at their own game...

Message 11 of 27
lincar66
Frequent Contributor

He also wasted my time did not have car I wanted and tried to push me into a car I did not want when I told him the options I would be looking for

Eq-670(dcu)ex-664 tu-693
NFCU Cash Rewards---8500k Joint Cash Rewards 2k NavCheck----15000 cap one 2500 cap one 2k synchrony furniture card 1500 walmart store card 6k walmart mastercard 6000 Firestone 1400 amazon 6k Lowes 12k serta 4k care credit 4800 rotman furniture card 1500 stash visa 2k bp visa 1500 PayPal MasterCard ????
Message 12 of 27
1fstgixer
Valued Member

Most dealers will locate you a car if you know what you want and you are committed to buying it. So using an excuse like " they didn't have what I wanted" is just trying to sugar coat the fact you had zero intentions of buying a car, and really wasted the sales persons time and probably cost him/her a $100 just because they could not talk to another customer. Maybe you should stop by, buy them a cup of coffee at least for the time spent...

And by the way, if you were buying a car, I am sure you would have used a search engine of some sort to find the dealer that had exactly what you would have been looking for... 

Message 13 of 27
paris75
New Contributor

As someone who works in sales, that's what we do, show options. If you don't have what the customer wants, you Sell What's Available Today! Can't knock someone for doing their job.
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree...I sell cars and feel like you really messed up that poor guys day!

Message 15 of 27
black_citi
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

You went into a dealership with no intention of buying a car, just to see what rate you could get?  My god I would rather stick forks in my eyes.

Lol

Make More, Spend Less
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RussianPassion wrote:

Going to the dealership with no intention of buying a car... On a weekend... That's just dumb.

forum etiquette?

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is always my experience too!

@B335is wrote:
It is kind of funny that you tested the waters but maybe my experiences with car dealers has jaded me. It always turns into an 8 hour ordeal, with my head pounding at the end.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may think you won.  But we'll see how you feel when the dealership calls you 4 times a week for the next 6 months.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very new to this forum...so my opinions might be taken with a grain of salt.  I am a finance director with a large corporate dealership group that spans 14 states.  If you believe that you just wasted the time of the sales person you are being gentle.  The hour or so that you spent with the sales person with "no intention" to buy a car just starts the process of wasting the time of the floor manager at the store, the sales manager at the store, the finance manager at the store, the GM of the store and most importantly the BDC department which is paid for calling you repeatedly to make an appointment "which you probably ignore all phone calls and emails because you're better than them".  If you were truly offered the interest rate that you say with the credit scores that you have in you signature...you...my friend missed an amazing oppurtunity at a great rate!!!   "The Game" that you call what we do for a living is a proven way to take care of people in difficult situations for those that are credit challenged.  I'm not saying that there aren't dealerships out there that attempt to take advantage of those people, but a majority of them don't.  If he was showing you a certain car it was probably for a reason because some cars have special APR's that go along with them from certain lenders...if you were interest rate concerned he might have been trying to show you that car with a good interest rate even for 800 beacons, it was because the car you wanted the interest rate could of been 18% (+2% if you keep wasting dealerships time).  Not that I know your whole story, but next time be more specific with the sales person in your "time wasting" intentions and you might be surprised how well you are treated becasue repeat and referral customers are a huge part of our business!  I hope what I said didn't bother anyone and that if anyone needs dealership financing advise please feel free to message me on here!

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.