cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bank to get a personal/car loan from?

tag
paparoach429
Established Member

Best bank to get a personal/car loan from?

So as the title says, Im getting closer to getting my new car and am curious to know which banks tend to be the most lenient as far as amount of money borrowed and interest they charge. Id like to hear personal opinions before I start going out and taking on alot of hard hits on my credit. Also, how does combining hard hits for car loans work? Do they all have to be in the same day, week or month?     

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ALLevesque
Established Member

Re: Best bank to get a personal/car loan from?

When we bought a new Toyota, we financed with Toyota and got 0%(60 months), and we also bought certified used with Toyota for 2.9%.  (60 months)

We bought a new Subaru and financed through Subaru and got 1.9% (72 months)

We bought a truck private sale and got 2.49% through a credit untion (36 months)

It really depends on promotional deals and such... but in our case those have been the best deals we've gotten.

Message 2 of 3
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: Best bank to get a personal/car loan from?

For the most commonly used FICO models, auto loan inquiries that are coded as such done within 30 days of one another will have the affect of one hard inquiry.  All will show on the credit report of course.

As far as what bank to use, Credit Unions have been the best recently.  I would ask around your local credit unions what their rates are and what scores are needed for particular rates.  If you're buying used make sure you mention the model year you're looking at.

You should take what the best rate is that you can get qualified at based on your credit, and bring that to the dealer and see if they can beat it.  If you're positive you'll get approved at the credit union, don't even take the hard pull, just use the APR as a bargaining point in the dealership and tell them you're preapproved.  The dealer may pull 1-2 bureaus to try and beat it.  If they can, great!  If they can't, you can go back to your credit union and get the loan there.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.