Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to finance auto loan?

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Best way to finance auto loan?

PENFED uses an old scoring model (Nexgen).
Their scoring model is always lower then my FICO 8 scores. I wouldn't sweat it.
Message 11 of 14
thegrapelady
Contributor

Good to know! I nearly had a heart attack. My score has never been that low! Thanks.
Message 12 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Personally I've found DCU to be a better lender than PenFed and I've been a member of PenFed for going on 40 years - today I do most of my "Credit Union" stuff through DCU. You can prequalify for an amount up to - say you think $20k ask for up to $25k and you can apply for the loan prior to joining DCU. 

My last two cars through DCU (new "used" 2013 in 12/13 and new new 2/2016) In both cases I had preapprovals in hand through DCU - good for I think 6 weeks, might have been 30 days. Makes buying a car (about any car you want - probably not a HellCat or Demon) your choice and you won't have to deal with dealers shotgunning your report with inquiries. 

Message 13 of 14
thegrapelady
Contributor

Thanks. I'll check out DCU. Now as of this morning I've gotten 2 notifications from credit cards that I have a credit increase. I hope that won't cause any problems. Lol.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.