Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Between tiers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between tiers

I am looking at a car at Carmax. They are having it shipped in and should arrive tomorrow. I have spoken with my credit union without them pulling my scores. They said based on info I have I would be at an okay rate but I am hoping for better. Here's the deal. MyFico reports my scores as Eq 640, TU 725 and EX 733. However, I recently paid for Equifax to pull all three of my scores just to see what the difference would be. EQ is 605, TU 689, and EX 692.

So, based on all that info, am I not between tier 1, 2 AND 3? How would I know if I am getting a good rate? I am all over the place with scores! I want to know before I walk in the door and get picked off by the finance vultures at Carmax. My credit union does not seem like it would be fantastic, but it was a guess based on what I was telling him I had seen- worst case rate with them because they pull EQ only.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: Between tiers

Not saying this would happen to you, but my cu pulled TU 04 which was substantially lower than the 08 found on this site. I guessing the only way you'll know for sure is to apply and have them pull.
Message 2 of 5
jim44
Established Contributor

I did the same thing with my CU.  I put together a bill of sale with a certain amount down and asked my CU Auto Loan rep to give me a rough estimate with my FAKO score.. EQ is what they pull.  I was guessing around 640.. I did apply and was approved for a Visa with them back in Oct, 2014. andased on that FICO she told me my rate would be around 7.50.  I asked her to "pull the trigger" and found out Friday my rate was 5.25!  That was a pleasant surprise... so I'm in agreement if you really want the car have your CU pull your credit. They will use the Auto Enchanced Score.  Best of Luck to you...

Message 3 of 5
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@jim44 wrote:

I did the same thing with my CU.  I put together a bill of sale with a certain amount down and asked my CU Auto Loan rep to give me a rough estimate with my FAKO score.. EQ is what they pull.  I was guessing around 640.. I did apply and was approved for a Visa with them back in Oct, 2014. andased on that FICO she told me my rate would be around 7.50.  I asked her to "pull the trigger" and found out Friday my rate was 5.25!  That was a pleasant surprise... so I'm in agreement if you really want the car have your CU pull your credit. They will use the Auto Enchanced Score.  Best of Luck to you...

Not to be disagreeable, but my CU pulled what would more traditionally be a mortgage score (TU Classic 04) when I applied for an auto loan.  I don't know if that's all they can pull or if they had a choice, but I wanted to give the OP a heads-up that you may or may not have the particular CU pull what you think they will.  If you have any concerns, I'd ask them to tell you what scoring model they use before having them do a HP, if possible.  The TU 04 was a nasty surprise as the score was way lower than what I had here at the time!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied this morning and they gave my a 3.19 rate. Way better than I was expecting!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.