Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of SANTANDER Auto Loans

tag
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Re: Beware of SANTANDER Auto Loans

It costs to pay with them. I did it once because I need to hit my threshold on my Delta Skymiles....

Other than that.....Straight online bill pay...right from my bank to them

If your payment is due on 11/27 and you don't receive a statement yet, I'd just do online bill pay or call them to see if they can waive the fee

Actually....paying with a checking account might be free.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 21 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maturity date in 3 months. payment $440 a month.  why in the hell is my payoff amount $7k.  Cant get any answers from customer service. I was told they would forward the info to the correct department and I should call back in 3 days.

Message 22 of 44
6speed
Valued Member

I don't know why you don't just have them autodraft the payments. It's free. I've done it since day 1 (currently 6 months in) and they've followed through as well as any bank I've ever had has - proper posting of the payments, accurate reports to all 3 bureaus. I don't get why people bash them (or Cap1). You've messed up, you want/need something, and they'll give it to you - for a price, of course. So long as you stay on top of your payments and aren't late, I don't see where the problem lies. You're fulfilling the contract.

I'm biting the bullet until my 12th statement cuts, then refinancing. I know I screwed up - my interest rate is more than double the other two car loans I've had in the past. But I needed a car and they were there to help.

Message 23 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only problem I have with Santander is their bill pay system. A company this big should not be using Western Union. It's kind of ridiculous. It's a pain in the butt to make a principal payment and there is no way out of the fee for making a principal only payment. Then it takes a week for them to post it correctly as an actual principal payment.

Message 24 of 44
cwpeak
Established Member

I got approved for a 45,000 auto loan at 5.5 percent. Sounds good to me
Message 25 of 44
mahiven
Regular Contributor

@6speed wrote:

I don't know why you don't just have them autodraft the payments. It's free. I've done it since day 1 (currently 6 months in) and they've followed through as well as any bank I've ever had has - proper posting of the payments, accurate reports to all 3 bureaus. I don't get why people bash them (or Cap1). You've messed up, you want/need something, and they'll give it to you - for a price, of course. So long as you stay on top of your payments and aren't late, I don't see where the problem lies. You're fulfilling the contract.

I'm biting the bullet until my 12th statement cuts, then refinancing. I know I screwed up - my interest rate is more than double the other two car loans I've had in the past. But I needed a car and they were there to help.

6speed I was going to say similar. I refinanced my loan into Santander. The process was very easy, the people have been nice and helpful. My guess is the become difficult to work with when you pay late, which can you blame them? They're in the business of giving loans and charging interest. When you don't pay, you cost them money. They don't only do high interest loans, I've known many people who finance through Santander at 2% of similar. So far my experience has been great with them. They worked with me when no one else would. Just pay on time through your checking account so you can prove it down the road and you should be fine.

03/19/2011 EQ: 627 EX: 602 TU 590 (lender pull) 07/16/2011 EQ: 646 EX: 629 TU 647 Fell off the wagon in 2012. Starting over in 2013.Current Score: 01/07/2013 EQ: 646 EX: ??? TU 608 Goal Score: 700 club

Message 26 of 44
Sputney23
Valued Member

@cwpeak wrote:
I got approved for a 45,000 auto loan at 5.5 percent. Sounds good to me

What were your scores?

EQ 700 Trans 695 Exp 722
Message 27 of 44
PRC
New Contributor

@mahiven wrote:

@6speed wrote:

6speed I was going to say similar. I refinanced my loan into Santander. The process was very easy, the people have been nice and helpful. My guess is the become difficult to work with when you pay late, which can you blame them? They're in the business of giving loans and charging interest. When you don't pay, you cost them money. They don't only do high interest loans, I've known many people who finance through Santander at 2% of similar. So far my experience has been great with them. They worked with me when no one else would. Just pay on time through your checking account so you can prove it down the road and you should be fine.

I am not surprised that people still post to this topic.  Santander to the majority of the individuals online is TERRIBLE (myself included) I am so happy that they're WAY behind me and I will NEVER use them again, even if I'm in trouble again I will not use them.  I am happy to share that since this nightmare I have successfully obtained a new vehicle loan with a 1.9% interest rate with a credit union...LOL to Santander because they did not accomplish what they set out to accomplish in my case.  Again I say with them KEEP TRACK OF EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING...you might not have an issue now but if they lose your payment, do not apply your payment to the correct account, or as my case tell you they will re-amortized your loan after a total lost (no matter how small the amount, mine was only $274)... you will encounter a problem (unless you're in that 2% of individuals who do not).  it will be extremely difficult to clear your name even with paper work, unless you know somebody who knows somebody, or AGAIN you're in that 2% range of people who have luck with Santander. 

As I always say if 2 or 3 out of 20 have an issue no big deal that could be their fault but of 18 out 20 have an issue then hmmmmmmm.... it could be the company... Take a look at all of the posts online regarding Santander (they're thousands) and all the lawsuits on file and then look at all these good reviews and compare the numbers... The good does NOT OUT WEIGH THE BAD!!!!

Good luck in your journey to wonerful credit and obtaining REAL car loans with REAL creditors.  Even if they gave you a great rate they will still eat you up in the end....UNLESS you're one of the 2% that get lucky or you pay on time all the time and there is never a problem with your payment. 

Message 28 of 44
mahiven
Regular Contributor

It's not typical for people to take to the internet to praise things, but it is typical for them to take to the internet to speak poorly of things. Myself, I cannot stand GMAC/Ally. I had two horrible experiences with them. I wouldn't take a loan out with them if they were the only person to say yes. But there are TONS of people who have had good experiences with them. If no one had a good experience with Santander, they would probably be out of business. But for a lot of people, Santander is that company that says "Yes" when everyone else has said "No" and you feel like giving up.

03/19/2011 EQ: 627 EX: 602 TU 590 (lender pull) 07/16/2011 EQ: 646 EX: 629 TU 647 Fell off the wagon in 2012. Starting over in 2013.Current Score: 01/07/2013 EQ: 646 EX: ??? TU 608 Goal Score: 700 club

Message 29 of 44
Samekathe
Established Member

I have an auto loan with them and they not only have always reported us good but also been very understanding the 2 months we went away on vacation and not reported us bad at all.. 

Only problem is.. Our interest rate is outrageous 19% I don't know what to do, we've had it for a year and a half and all greens every month, but we are 13k away from paying a car that cost 6k. What should I do? Trade it in? Refinance? 

Starting FICO score 578 (one CC 300)
03/2013 EQ 634. TU 658. EX 672.
Goal score 700
Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.