Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a car, never recieved paperwork

tag
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Bought a car, never recieved paperwork

We bought a new(used) car May 20th. The finance guy told us they would mail us the loan and vehicle paperwork in a week or two. We have recieved nothing. We left the dealorship with one piece of paper showing we purchased the car, like a copy of tthe loan document. I can't register the car until I recieve this paperwork. I have called twice and was told that it would be in any day. This is from a Ford Dealorship so it's a legit business. I am not sure what to do ay this point. I'm tempted to give them the car back and go elsewhere, if that was legal?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Bought a car, never recieved paperwork

When do your temps expire? Oddly enough this happened to one of my friends when they bought a car out of state (let's just say the dealer took forever to register it with the state).

Also I find it odd that you would be registering your car when you have a loan on it. Usually the dealer has to do that as per 99% of loan stips that I've seen. Is this a common practice in your state?

Have you contacted the dealer regarding this situation? I started calling for my friend who had troubles like every day.

Typically you cannot just return a car for these reasons. Did the loan go through? I'd call the lender you were financed with and ask them if they have a record of your loan and if it's been funded. Also be sure you still make your first payment on time (should be on your paperwork and you can just ask the lender during the call)...lenders get very nervous at first payment defaults haha.

Message 2 of 9
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

Remember0 wrote:

When do your temps expire? Oddly enough this happened to one of my friends when they bought a car out of state (let's just say the dealer took forever to register it with the state).

Also I find it odd that you would be registering your car when you have a loan on it. Usually the dealer has to do that as per 99% of loan stips that I've seen. Is this a common practice in your state?

Have you contacted the dealer regarding this situation? I started calling for my friend who had troubles like every day.

Typically you cannot just return a car for these reasons. Did the loan go through? I'd call the lender you were financed with and ask them if they have a record of your loan and if it's been funded. Also be sure you still make your first payment on time (should be on your paperwork and you can just ask the lender during the call)...lenders get very nervous at first payment defaults haha.

That's what is odd. They put my plates from my trade in car onto the new car. I recieved a piece of paper that shows I bought the car, which the sales man said I should keep in the car as proof I bought it until I get it registered. In my state, you register a new car youself. I am not sue what exactly they are sending, but he said I need the paperowrk to register the car. They are also supposed to mail me a check for the sales tax they agreed to pay. It's quite large so I am a bix anxious. I believe the temp date has already passed so I will be charged a late fee on top of the regular registration and sales tax. I am going to stop by the dealorship in the morning and see what I can do.

As far as the lender, we recieved a document from them and papers on how to make a payment. Amazing that gone done so quickly. HA!

Message 3 of 9
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Have you called the dealer? Maybe the stuff got lost in the mail? You need to keep on top of the dealer imo. I'd call them ASAP. If your loan is funded, odds are the dealer has completed the paperwork and it wasn't sent or is sitting on someone's desk.

Message 4 of 9
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

Have you called the dealer? Maybe the stuff got lost in the mail? You need to keep on top of the dealer imo. I'd call them ASAP. If your loan is funded, odds are the dealer has completed the paperwork and it wasn't sent or is sitting on someone's desk.

@Remember0 wrote:

I have called three times. I am going in person tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will find a solution.

Message 5 of 9
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

I stopped by the dealership today and my paperwork and check were there waiting for me to pick up. Just a communication issue...I was able to get the car registered.

Message 6 of 9
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Great! Glad to see it worked out amicably. Haha I just knew they were sitting buried on someone's desk lol.

Message 7 of 9
JMMD
Frequent Contributor

@Remember0 wrote:

Great! Glad to see it worked out amicably. Haha I just knew they were sitting buried on someone's desk lol.

I should have gone in person sooner LOL

Message 8 of 9
johngill
New Visitor

You should always have your paper work done whenever you make a car deal. This may help you for your insurance in future.

useful reference

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.