cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building credit with a auto loan or lease ?

tag
JOHNINAZ
New Contributor

Building credit with a auto loan or lease ?

So I tried a quick search and didnt find my answer. Is it better to get an auto loan or lease if you want to rebuild your credit? Mind you mine is moving up fine with no real debt and a couple credit cards but I was thinking of purchasing/leasing a new car to jump it quicker. I am just curious if either one is better. I mean if a bank/loan company will approve you for 40K (income and debt to income can absolutely support this, not sure my score will) or a lease will do the same, does it matter ? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. I just never had to rebuild so it never really mattered in the past and now I want to pick the best way. In reality my best way is NO car payment but it seems Im kind of stuck where I am now score wise (hasn't moved in 4 months) because I wont extend myself out there.  TIA, John

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 645,630,615
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Building credit with a auto loan or lease ?

@JOHNINAZ wrote:

So I tried a quick search and didnt find my answer. Is it better to get an auto loan or lease if you want to rebuild your credit? Mind you mine is moving up fine with no real debt and a couple credit cards but I was thinking of purchasing/leasing a new car to jump it quicker. I am just curious if either one is better. I mean if a bank/loan company will approve you for 40K (income and debt to income can absolutely support this, not sure my score will) or a lease will do the same, does it matter ? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. I just never had to rebuild so it never really mattered in the past and now I want to pick the best way. In reality my best way is NO car payment but it seems Im kind of stuck where I am now score wise (hasn't moved in 4 months) because I wont extend myself out there.  TIA, John

It doesn't matter whether its lease or a loan.  They're both reported as installment loans.  However leases are generally harder to get if you have poor credit.  Still a good credit report usually includes a mixture of revolving and installment credit accounts.

Message 2 of 3
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Building credit with a auto loan or lease ?

I would say never get credit for the sole purpose of building credit. If you have a use for it then go for it, otherwise it isn't worth it.

If you are set on getting an installment loan. Get a small secured personal loan. That will add the mix and not cost too much.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.